• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-profit 501(c)(3)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HomeVote

Hey folks, new to this forum! I am hoping for a simplified(dumbed down) explanation of how I should operate a non-profit I'm starting up.

Im in California and Im working on registering a non-profit that has a sole purpose of educating the general public with non biased information about our local government officials running for office and what their stances are on local issues. Along with this purpose is the intent to encourage higher voter turnouts in low income neighborhoods. So my first question is, would that qualify as tax exempt with the IRS with the proper Bylaws?

Secondly, I'm having a hard time understanding the structure of creating a Board of Directors. I understand the IRS typically likes to see 3-25 directors to grant the exemption, so currently I have myself as President, I have a secretary, and I have a treasurer. We are obviously starting off very small and without much initial income so I need to ensure tax exemption to avoid minimum tax payments at the end of the tax year. I would love some advice on how I could organize a board of directors legally and what the process would look like starting out. I'm seeing a lot of language about terms and voting..... So I can only assume within the first few weeks of registering with the state, I need bylaws and some type of meeting minutes with my board to vote me(or anyone) in as president? Please help me make sense of this!

Thank you for your time!

-Stephen

FlyingRon

First off, you need to be very careful. Anything that is viewed as political activity is not permitted of 501(c)(3) corporations. You possibly could do it but you're walking a fine line if your "education" favors one political faction over another. 501(c)(3) isn't the only tax-exempt category. t is specifically limited to public charities and foundations and the like.

You should investigate if a 501(c)(4) or 527 organization is more suited to what you want to do.
There's more than just "registration" involved here. You actually have to form an entity, be it a corporation or perhaps an LLC.

You sound a bit over your head. Setting up tax-exempt organizations isn't usually a self-help thing. You should explain what you are trying to do to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">