• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Renewal due to Kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djkoko

I'm am in Palm Beach County Florida. We have paid EVERY month on time and keep our townhome clean and neat. We were told 2 times in the last 3 months, the latest being less than 3 weeks ago our lease would be renewed. Last Saturday my 10 year old was screwing around with his friends and launched a rock through a window which he did not mean to throw at the window. The tenant of the townhome with the broken window even said it was an accident. I immediately went to the office an told them what happen and the sales representative agreed it was an accident. We offered to pay for it on the spot and she advised us that it would be cheaper to wait until Monday and it was no big deal. On that Monday, the property Manager sent us a non-renewal of lease. I called to ask why and she informed me that my kids were "UNSAFE TO THE COMMUNITY!" She was outright set in her ways and was no changing her mind. Even my neighbors here are shell shocked by this. Their kids & ours play together all the time and have never had problems. Is there anything I can do here? I feel discriminated against due to my kids.

Your LL is overrereacting to say the least, however it is the landlords perogative to decide whether or not to offer renewal of your lease. As stupid as his reason may be, I don't think it would be fruitful to persue this issue :(

Last edited:

djkoko

Now it has escalated to the sales rep asking my youngest son if he's "Ignorant", "Stupid" and "Mental". I have YET to say anything to the office since I know this will do me ZERO good. The Office Manager protects the the rep 100% reguardless if she lies or not. We have also heard from other tenant that she is discussing our issues with them. Isn't this a privacy issue as well? There has got to be SOMETHING I can do here. At this point it's a blessing they are not renewing but we now have become 2nd class 3rd world people to them.

You could search around for a tenant's rights group of some type in your area. They LOVE stuff like this!

From a practical standpoint.....it's proabably going to cause you to get more and more upset and waste a lot of negative energy for little/no gain. Get out as fast as you can and be glad you're no longer in the company of such ignorant people.

Karla in Amarillo

south

Is this a repeat post from a few weeks ago?

You personaly are not being discriminated against; your kids sound like a hand full and a possible disturbance in the complex, whats next a car window? but its cute when kids smash it, your lease is not being re-newed everyone's children are golden children in their own eyes.

djkoko said:
I'm am in Palm Beach County Florida. We have paid EVERY month on time and keep our townhome clean and neat. We were told 2 times in the last 3 months, the latest being less than 3 weeks ago our lease would be renewed. Last Saturday my 10 year old was screwing around with his friends and launched a rock through a window which he did not mean to throw at the window. The tenant of the townhome with the broken window even said it was an accident. I immediately went to the office an told them what happen and the sales representative agreed it was an accident. We offered to pay for it on the spot and she advised us that it would be cheaper to wait until Monday and it was no big deal. On that Monday, the property Manager sent us a non-renewal of lease. I called to ask why and she informed me that my kids were "UNSAFE TO THE COMMUNITY!" She was outright set in her ways and was no changing her mind. Even my neighbors here are shell shocked by this. Their kids & ours play together all the time and have never had problems. Is there anything I can do here? I feel discriminated against due to my kids.

djkoko

south said:
Is this a repeat post from a few weeks ago?

You personaly are not being discriminated against; your kids sound like a hand full and a possible disturbance in the complex, whats next a car window? but its cute when kids smash it, your lease is not being re-newed everyone's children are golden children in their own eyes.
This is not a reapeat from a week ago. Yeah I laughed and thought it was cute...WHAT??!?!?! He got his trust me! I take it your forgot the days when you were a kid and did something stupid. I will be the 1st to admit my kids are NO ANGELS but you sound like someone who doesn't have kids or expects them to stay in the house and read books all day. I'm not the only one complaining about the management and they way they treat people with kids. 3 families did not renew already this month for that fact and one left in the middle of the night. I'm just the only one posting and trying to get some answers. If you would read the entire statement you would see that the other parents here have NO PROBLEMS with my kids. Some have offered to go to the managment themselves and try to help us. I have asked them not to. Just to add on. I have been renting for 7 years and EVERY PLACE we have ever been in has made us offers to stay because of the way we conduct ourselves including our kids. Personally like I said before, I think this is a blessing in disquise.

fauve4

Move on...

Personally like I said before, I think this is a blessing in disquise.
Why would you want to continue living in a place where your relationship is hostile with your landlord? Get out there and find yourself another home... one where you are welcome. I think your attitude is just right.... move on... take this as a lesson learned... it is indeed a blessing in disquise... keep that attitude... where will it get you trying to fight this, except aggravated and frustrated...

Good luck to you.

south

Feel better now?

Is the problem still there?

If so please by all means continue using me as your emotional punch bag.

djkoko said:
This is not a reapeat from a week ago. Yeah I laughed and thought it was cute...WHAT??!?!?! He got his trust me! I take it your forgot the days when you were a kid and did something stupid. I will be the 1st to admit my kids are NO ANGELS but you sound like someone who doesn't have kids or expects them to stay in the house and read books all day. I'm not the only one complaining about the management and they way they treat people with kids. 3 families did not renew already this month for that fact and one left in the middle of the night. I'm just the only one posting and trying to get some answers. If you would read the entire statement you would see that the other parents here have NO PROBLEMS with my kids. Some have offered to go to the managment themselves and try to help us. I have asked them not to. Just to add on. I have been renting for 7 years and EVERY PLACE we have ever been in has made us offers to stay because of the way we conduct ourselves including our kids. Personally like I said before, I think this is a blessing in disquise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">