• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Renewal Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goose19

I have lived in the same apartment for 10 years. About 6 weeks ago new tenants moved in upstairs. In this short time they have complained about "excessive noise" from the television and closing my door too loudly to the management. They have also called the police several times.

Now, the noise was never excessive, and is far quieter than the noise they generate often. Also, none of the previous 6 tenants, over a 10 year period ever complained a single time. These people are hypersensitive (not to mention hypocritical) as pertains to noise expectations.

Yet, despite my ten year record of being a quiet resident, out of nowhere the management places a non-renewal notice on my door, stating that I will not be allowed to renew my lease and will be forced to move.

The people who have been here for 6 weeks, and who are noisier than me, are permitted to stay, yet me as a 10 year resident has to leave.

Is there any legal action I can take, injunction to force them not to "evict" ? Or could I even sue them in civil court for monetary damages from this clear unfair treatment against me ?

State:FLORIDA
Thank you.

Last edited:

goose19

Forgot to mention, the other part of the "non-renewal" reason is because of my constant reporting that the outside lights get fixed. They keep breaking regularly, and then I send in a notice to get them fixed. This has been going on for over 7 years. They are just annoyed at my expecting them to fix the lights, so maybe they are using this fake "noise" thing as an opportunity to get a complainer out.

I have detailed documentation of all my emails reporting the issue for over a year to prove my case.

ecmst12

They don't need a reason to non-renew a month to month tenant. I'd guess the new people pay more rent then you do.

MIRAKALES

Managements ability to evict (or “not renew”) may be dependent on the number of dwelling units within the complex or whether the premises are subject to rent control standards. Large complexes (10-50) are often held to different standards than smaller premises (1-20). Each state and county defines large and small on different scales. Check with the national and local divisions of HUD and local housing protections regarding the matter. It is doubtful that the issues with maintenance and/or the new tenants are the basis for non-renewal.

goose19

I think my case is not quite clear. I have lived in the same unit for ten years, with no complaints from the prior 6 tenants that lived over me.

Just a few weeks ago, new tenants moved in, and have complained several times about my television too loud - which is not the case as is evidenced by no one ever complaining.

The manager told me straight out that the reason was that she "felt I was unhappy here" due to my repeated reporting of lights being out, and that the tenants had complained about tv noise.

I said that I have ten years evidence to support that their claims are false, they have 6 weeks here.

Do I have any case here ?

goose19

So people can make false claims and a person has no recourse ? Is this America ?

Can I file some sort of harrassment charges with the police against the tenants for false accusations resulting in my non-renewal ? After all, their false claims have damaged me - is there any way to recover those damages ?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">