• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-resident with a NY hold on license privilege

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texasguy57

I lived in NY until four years ago. I had two DWI’s around 2005, but was able to keep my license. Got two more in late 2010 and lost the license. No jail, just drug court. Anyway, stopped drinking. Tried to get license back in 2016, but DMV said no.
I moved to SC in 2016, and SC wouldn’t give me a license because NY blocked it. Now it’s 5 years later. Would a block in NY be gone by now? If not, how can I, as a non-NY resident, get NY to release me?

Just Blue

I lived in NY until four years ago. I had two DWI’s around 2005, but was able to keep my license. Got two more in late 2010 and lost the license. No jail, just drug court. Anyway, stopped drinking. Tried to get license back in 2016, but DMV said no.
I moved to SC in 2016, and SC wouldn’t give me a license because NY blocked it. Now it’s 5 years later. Would a block in NY be gone by now? If not, how can I, as a non-NY resident, get NY to release me?
https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/penalties-multiple-offenders

BuyLowSellHigh

The intention of the 5 year problem driver period is to prove that you can be responsible. Just waiting another 5 years doesn't do that.

If having a license is important to you, you need to follow the advice above of consulting with a NY DUI attorney.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's DWI in NY.

Blue posted a useful page with all the information needed. What does your conviction history look like besides your four for DWI? Were you convicted/pleaded guilty of DWI each time - no charges were reduced?

HighwayMan

By the way, revocations (like suspensions) do not just go away at the end of the specified revocation period. It takes action on the part of the licensee.

In the case of suspensions one must pay a suspension termination fee for each suspension. A revocation is different since it's as if you never had a license. I'm not sure what DMV does when the period of revocation is over - there's certainly a fee involved but you may need to be treated the same as a new driver is (application, written test, road test) or apply for a waiver. I do not know how a driving privilege is treated in the case of an out-of-state resident though, since you wouldn't end up with a NYS license at the end anyway.

aldaron

W/4 DUI's you can bet there's classes to complete and an interlock period to complete before they ever lift that revocation.

GuyInNC

W/4 DUI's you can bet there's classes to complete and an interlock period to complete before they ever lift that revocation.
I would question whether or not you could actually do this from SC. The previously linked URL describes how a NY State resident might get some driving privileges (with restrictions). It is not clear to me how you would go about this as a SC resident. I would suggest that the OP needs attorneys in both states. My experience (NC - unrelated to alcohol) shows precious little flexibility regarding the NDR.

HighwayMan

I would question whether or not you could actually do this from SC. The previously linked URL describes how a NY State resident might get some driving privileges (with restrictions). It is not clear to me how you would go about this as a SC resident. I would suggest that the OP needs attorneys in both states. My experience (NC - unrelated to alcohol) shows precious little flexibility regarding the NDR.
I doubt an attorney would help you get anywhere with the DMV, although a consultation couldn't hurt. Anything like this is best done in person at a DMV. I don't even know if NY DMV offices are open these days.

quincy

I doubt an attorney would help you get anywhere with the DMV, although a consultation couldn't hurt. Anything like this is best done in person at a DMV. I don't even know if NY DMV offices are open these days.
New York DMV offices are open on a limited basis by appointment.

Texasguy57 must first obtain approval from New York’s Driver Improvement Unit (DIU) to have his driving privileges restored. Here is a link to more information on the process:

https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/how-request-restoration-after-driver-license-revocation

The information from the link above includes restoration of driving privileges for those currently residing in other states. Texasguy57 will want to check to see if he can complete online what the DMV requires.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">