• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-solicitation among contractors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjackson1972

I'm a freelancer operating as a corporation out of Washington state, and am looking at a consulting agreement by a prospective client operating out of Michigan. The plan is to keep the contract open-ended so we can continue to work together going forward.

Their non-solicitation clause bars hiring other consultants as well as employees.

It's certainly reasonable for them not to want me to pull their resources away, but it doesn't seem reasonable for them to bar me from working with other freelancers in the future.

For example, I share another client with the consultant that referred me to them, and I may want to use her on other projects.

Is there some language we can use to find a middle ground? Other advice?

Thank you in advance! :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will want to speak to a local attorney. Your request is beyond the scope of an internet forum.

quincy

I'm a freelancer operating as a corporation out of Washington state, and am looking at a consulting agreement by a prospective client operating out of Michigan. The plan is to keep the contract open-ended so we can continue to work together going forward.

Their non-solicitation clause bars hiring other consultants as well as employees.

It's certainly reasonable for them not to want me to pull their resources away, but it doesn't seem reasonable for them to bar me from working with other freelancers in the future.

For example, I share another client with the consultant that referred me to them, and I may want to use her on other projects.

Is there some language we can use to find a middle ground? Other advice?

Thank you in advance! :)
Contracts are simply agreements between two or more parties that create enforceable obligations.

Whatever you and the client can agree to can be fashioned into a written contract.

You should consult with an attorney in your area to draft a contract that meets your needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">