• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NON typical CS question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Touché

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I still have yet to file for divorce because of this one question. Until I know for sure I do not want to flub up my pro se filings.

Long story short, I want to sign off on child support from my husband, I do know that if I can it would not stop the state going after him for cs as payment if I go on state aid. It would only prevent me personally getting it.

As a side note, he adopted the children only as a favor to me. He never wanted children. I have offered many times for him to see the children and have visitation with them. He does not want it but it will be put into the divorce as his option to do if he chooses. I have no problem with him seeing or being in the childrens lives and I am NOT using the child support as a bargaining chip.

Thank you Sincerely
Touche

CJane

You can put in the agreement something along the lines of 'the parties agree that no child support shall be paid by either party"... it's up to the judge whether or not to sign off on it. I've been in the court room when the judge has ordered support in multiple cases in which the parties had agreed not to pay/be paid. It's judicial discretion. Be prepared to explain to the judge exactly how you're planning to support the children without any financial assistance from their father (adopted or otherwise).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">