• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NonPaying Tenants in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

landlady

This has been an on going problem with these tenants. They go for a few months paying just fine and then wham! No payments, just excuses. Other bills to pay and so on. They do not have a lease as we have already asked them to leave in Feb. 2000, however, they paid their rent on time for the most part. We understood how hard it was for them to find another apartment in our area since they need a bigger one as it is. So we agreed to let them stay as long as they didn't default on the rent. Now they have not paid Nov. rent as of yet and they have been saying next week, on Wed. on Tues, etc. These tenants don't care about our house or their apartment (we have 6 rented units and leave in the 7th) They are always talking bad about the place and how things aren't done, yet as soon as my husband knows something needs done he does his best to fix it.. They let a leak go on for months until the ceiling below feel down before even saying anything to us and then when my husband wanted to go in a fix it he had to wait for her to clean it some and eventually her husband fixed the leak. They let their children run up and down the stairs banging and yelling all the time and all hours, Late at nite when they come in they knock on the windows of another apartment which is the bedroom for the adult that is there. They don't follow any of the rules in our leases even though they don't have a lease they were told that they were to abid by the lease at all times. I would like to know how soon we could get them evicted in the state of NY. This has gone on long enough! We are now going into Dec. and rent is due and they have said that they would pay Nove. rent yesterday, yet when my husband went to collect they didn't have it he was soo angry that he couldn't even talk to me about it. When they were spoken too last week they said that they would have the rent on Tues, and my husband said that would be Nov and Dec right? The reply was that we have to wait a couple of weeks for Dec. rent. This is insane! We understand that people have problems, but come on we have one tenant who is just making it paying her rent, she talks with us, tells us what's going on. makes payments and so on, this is fine we understand that this is a hard time for her and it's not going tolast forever. We want these people out before Christmas if not sooner, any and all advice is welcome. Please help. Thanks so much
Tricia

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Did not read your query, only read subject line.

A non-payment proceeding is commenced against tenant who does not pay rent. If tenant pays, tenant stays. If othewise, tenant goes.

I'm in Nassau, New York. If you like, telephone for free consult.

V

VictoryBlue

No lease?

Tricia wrote:

"They don't follow any of the rules in our leases even though they don't have a lease they were told that they were to abid by the lease at all times."

If they don't have a lease how do they know what those rules are? Why don't they have a lease if your other tenants do have a lease? Do they have a copy of these rules? Did they sign anything or make an oral agreement? How long have these disturbances been going on? Have you notified them that they need to stop making these disturbances?

You need to calm down and tell your husband, too. Don't get angry, simply take action that you are allowed to take. Inform yourself of what a landlord's rights are and calmly take appropriate action, there is no need to get angry. Anger simply destroys, it hurts you more than it hurts them. There are risks you take when you are a landlord--it just comes with the territory and you need to deal in an adult fashion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">