• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

North Carolina: Cable/internet debt being bounced from collector to collector

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ndemarco

Hello,

A cable/internet provider is pursuing me for a debt incurred around Aug. 2018 that either mine, or my ex-spouse is liable (and possibly more) for setting up the account during the marriage using my social security number (SSN) in 2010. The debt is reasonably small. During the divorce, she managed the vacation rental property where the service was provided. She did not pay the bills, and did not forward them to me. The equitable distribution judgement did not address this debt, but I was allocated the rental property.

I have been contesting the debt with the OC since receiving the first bill. The OC's claim is simple: it's my SSN, so my responsibility. OC sent the debt to first CA. I requested validation within 30 days via certified mail with return receipt. I received no response ever. CRA reported the debt had been removed. Weeks later, I received notice of the debt from second CA. I requested validation within 30 days (certified, return receipt). No response. Weeks later, CRA reported the debt was again removed. Days ago, I received a notice of the debt from a third CA.

My interactions with the OC and CA have been limited and respectful. I've documented each interaction. I've maintained the record of calls, letters, return receipts, etc.

Primarily, I wish to have a clean credit record. What must I do to have the negative entry removed from my credit report? I am ready to pay part or all of the debt so long as I will also achieve this end.
Is bouncing the debt from CA to CA allowed? If not, do I have options?
Are there other options I should consider?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is allowed. The problem you have is that the reporting is correct. Try to negotiate a pay-for-delete arrangement with one of the collectors - make sure it's in writing.

ndemarco

I'll try negotiation with the current collector. That has not worked with the other two collectors.

Please explain what you meant by "the reporting is correct" so I better understand.

adjusterjack

Please explain what you meant by "the reporting is correct" so I better understand.
As long as the debt is attached to your SSN you owe the money. That's why it's correct. The CAs don't care what you "say." They hear the same stories all day, every day. They just want their money.

If you can negotiate pay for delete, more power to you. But the CAs have no obligation to delete a correct entry. If they don't, pay it anyway. The longer you wait, the bigger the bill when they start adding interest and lawyer fees.

Zigner

The debt is correctly yours. You can't claim an objection to it after having allowed it for many years for utility service at a property that you own.

ndemarco

Thanks for the rapid responses.

@Zigner: Understood, and I've always believed any defense like "I didn't know..." would be a farcical waste of time.
@adjusterjack: Also understood on all points. I called to negotiate. Summary for others:

• Prior negative credit entries had already been removed by the previous CAs. No current negative entry was on my report.
  • I called the current CA. I was calm and respectful throughout the call. The agent was similarly calm and respectful.
  • I asked, and he offered a 40% reduction (which was already half the original debt) in exchange to report the debt as paid in full, zero balance.
  • CA agent was clear and detailed during the phone call. I gave my credit card number. He provided his full name, employee ID, direct contact, and a payment confirmation number.
  • I am to receive a mailed notice of zero balance owed to the OC. The notice will include my social security number.

I hope I did this well. The experience was not at all unpleasant.

Last edited:

Zigner

Thanks for the rapid responses.

@Zigner: Understood, and I've always believed any defense like "I didn't know..." would be a farcical waste of time.
@adjusterjack: Also understood on all points. I called to negotiate. Summary for others:

• Prior negative credit entries had already been removed by the previous CAs. No current negative entry was on my report.
  • I called the current CA. I was calm and respectful throughout the call. The agent was similarly calm and respectful.
  • I asked, and he offered a 40% reduction (which was already half the original debt) in exchange to report the debt as paid in full, zero balance.
  • CA agent was clear and detailed during the phone call. I gave my credit card number. He provided his full name, employee ID, direct contact, and a payment confirmation number.
  • I am to receive a mailed notice of zero balance owed to the OC. The notice will include my social security number.

I hope I did this well. the experience was not at all unpleasant.
That sounds like a great resolution. Keep an eye on your credit report(s) to make sure it doesn't show up. Congratulations!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">