• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not accepting Section 8

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

Hi,

is it legal in Florida to not accept section 8 in general ?

Or can I not say so and have to decide it on a one by one basis (not only based on section 8)?

Thanks

Stephan

Just Blue

Hi,

is it legal in Florida to not accept section 8 in general ?

Or can I not say so and have to decide it on a one by one basis (not only based on section 8)?

Thanks

Stephan
It is legal in Florida to have an attorney to assist you regarding LL laws.

FarmerJ

When I participated in S8 the program the tenant had was percent of income the tenants voucher guidelines had set housing caps at the time of 650 a month for a 3 bedroom where landlord paid the water sewer and trash but the market in the neighborhood the house was in was 675.00 to 700. SO it is possible max rent the program allows at times may be less than the local market rate so No a LL would not have to accept that and lastly then S8 contracts can impose S8s rules , the diff here is say you rented to me a unit and I was not on any so called housing program other than Uncle cash plan LOL and I turned out to a bit harder on the unit than other tenants and you just wanted me gone at the end of the lease then you do not renew and give me proper notice to get out according to the lease terms, no problem you will get your wish even though every thing that I damaged you were on it and fixed and billed me and I paid you for . BUT now trade the tenant out with a S8 program participant, you want this person gone, you have problems getting them to pay for the excess damages they do but somewhere in the 8th or 9th month s8 comes out to do its annual re inspect and orders you to fix certain things and you dont want to keep re doing things while im there , if you ignore the repair order because you dont want to fix up anything till im gone s8 can order your contracted payment from them to be held back until you do fix the things they wrote up. SO If your going to refuse to participate as a landlord then you really should understand that there are things about the program that like it or not its s8 way or the highway so you know there are many tenants and landlords who the program works well for but if there is any thing in the HAP ( housing assistance plans rules you do not care for then thats your reason to refuse to participate)

Gail in Georgia

" is it legal in Florida to not accept section 8 in general ?"

Florida does not require landlords to participate in the Section 8 program (some states offer a landlord no option).

Gail

FarmerJ

Your best bet is to learn all you can about s8 programs in your state so you can make a informed choice as to why you would not participate because some day you may well have a applicant tenant who claims you are discriminating if you do not participate and the best answer to that is to know the details of why such as contracts that have rules in them that you would normally not agree with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">