• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not approved for disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CCMominVA

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My father was recently diagnosed in October with ALS - aka Lou Gherigs disease. He was told by his doctor to go ahead and apply for SSdisability benefits (he is 59 years old).

My father is in the early stages of the disease, but if you are familiar with it, it can go very quickly or not very fast at all. There is too little known about the disease to make any firm prognosis.

He has lost 40% of the use of his right arm.

He is retired from his first career (30 years in the Navy) and since retirement began to study to become a Pastor. He is the Pastor of a small church and doesn't receive pay, but gets a $1000/mo housing allowance. He works only 5 hours/week for church services.

Social Security is telling him he works too much, and makes too much to be considered disabled. Is this right?

Thanks in advance!

wichitarick

hi
I can say that the website is actually easy to use and very imformative.
I have also applied and am much younger.
I also think he should apply for non sevice connected diability. I am a veteran and know several vets that recieve their retirement and their disablity Rick

CCMominVA

hi
I can say that the website is actually easy to use and very imformative.
I have also applied and am much younger.
I also think he should apply for non sevice connected diability. I am a veteran and know several vets that recieve their retirement and their disablity Rick
Thanks Rick....

He is already receiving compensation from the VA....as a Vietnam veteran, he has many service connected disabilities, and he's submitted for them to review once again with his newly diagnosed disability. Apparently, the ALS foundation along with the VA are trying to determine why there is such a strong connection with vets and ALS.

He is definitely going to appeal the ruling, I'm just wondering what his chances are going to be. 50% of newly diagnosed patients (and he's been living with it for about a year as far as we can tell) die within 18 mos - 3 years, so we're just trying to get this taken care of while he can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">