• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not at fault, but have no auto ins.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sharonks

What is the name of your state? California
I was turning at an intersection and other person ran red light and hit me. I wasn't hurt but totaled my car, but sad part is I have no auto insurance. What happens now? Will her insurance cover my car? Help please.

racer72

The other insurance company will be obligated to pay you for your loss but it will come at a price. The insurance company will also notify the state that they are settling a claim with an uninsured motorist and shortly after that you will be notified your license is suspended till you show proof of insurance.

S

Sharonks

Thank you. I knew there would be a penalty for no insurance but wasn't sure if her insurance had to cover my car since I was uninsured. Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

stephenk

has the other carrier admitted liability on behalf of their insured? If no, dont be surprised if they say you are at fault for turning in front of their insured, even more so if their insured denies running the red light. Hope you have witnesses.

if they deny liability, you will be stuck on filing a lawsuit against the other driver. Most if not all PI attorneys will not take your case just for property damage.

good luck.

S

Sharonks

Thank you(I think). I guess I got a bit lucky there because the hiway patrolman who came to the accident said there was an off duty patrolman right behind her and he was just reporting to work, so the hiway patrolman knew about the accident before we called him. And yes he said she ran the light. Well that would be obvious since this is a very high traffic street and especially at 6am, I would have been hit by more than one car. lol. At the scene she did say she "thought" her light was green. I am still waiting to hear from someone about what is going to happen. Thanks again for your help.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">