• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not getting paid for doing more than 1 job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AppleBottom

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am wondering what action I can take in this situation and what laws protect me.

I work in a restaurant as a server. I get paid 2.38/hour + tips (thanks Maryland! :mad: ). I do my job and all that is required of it. However, because it is the holidays many people who work other jobs at the restaurant are on break and unable to work. As a result the servers are asked to not only do our jobs but do the jobs of the food prep people and the GU (general utilities and dishwasher).

The managers swear they have not forced us to do anything but they are sure to let us know that if the dishes aren't washed and the food isn't prepped to be cooked we can't serve our customers and, therefore, will not get tipped well.

Now, I'm not saying I won't do those other jobs but I am not dumb. I know the restaurant is getting over when the servers do more than one job. Food prep people and GU get paid around $10/hour (or at least well over minimum wage). I'm not saying we deserve the full hourly wage of those jobs because we are rotating food prep and washing dishes all while we have tables to wait on. All I am saying is that we should be compensated for our extra work.

What can I do? We have a full house meeting on January 3 and I am going to address this issue.

HomeGuru

AppleBottom said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am wondering what action I can take in this situation and what laws protect me.

I work in a restaurant as a server. I get paid 2.38/hour + tips (thanks Maryland! :mad: ). I do my job and all that is required of it. However, because it is the holidays many people who work other jobs at the restaurant are on break and unable to work. As a result the servers are asked to not only do our jobs but do the jobs of the food prep people and the GU (general utilities and dishwasher).

The managers swear they have not forced us to do anything but they are sure to let us know that if the dishes aren't washed and the food isn't prepped to be cooked we can't serve our customers and, therefore, will not get tipped well.

Now, I'm not saying I won't do those other jobs but I am not dumb. I know the restaurant is getting over when the servers do more than one job. Food prep people and GU get paid around $10/hour (or at least well over minimum wage). I'm not saying we deserve the full hourly wage of those jobs because we are rotating food prep and washing dishes all while we have tables to wait on. All I am saying is that we should be compensated for our extra work.

What can I do? We have a full house meeting on January 3 and I am going to address this issue.
**A: I suggest you obtain info from your state dept. of labor prior to your Jan 3 meeting. And while you are talking to them, ask them to explain to you what an "at-will" employee such as yourself means.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While it would be nice of them to give you extra compensation for taking on extra duties, nothing in the law requires them to do so.

R

Ramoth

As long as your $2.38 plus tips adds up to minimum wage for all hours worked, the company doesn't have to pay you anything extra.

Be glad you're not in Florida. We pay $2.13 plus tips here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">