• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not given Ada accommodation, not hired for position within company because of lack of accommodation in previous accommodation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RachaelE

Utah

There is a lot to this issue but I’ll summarize-
Hired in November 2018
Several weeks later began process of requesting an ADA accommodation to work less hours or part time.
Mid January finally got all the paper work I needed.
Early March- was finally told this would not be an option operationally (which I don’t believe, but I didn’t want to stir up trouble until my latter situation happened) was told to find a part time position in the company (which should be noted are few and far between)
Late March- has meeting with more senior boss asking to temporarily work PT until I can find more suitable job, within company ideally. I disclosed that in the mean time working FT will be challenging and I will have to miss work occasionally. Was told no for the temp PT and to use Paid Time Off in order to have more time off.
Mid May- used all PTO and had to miss several days of work over the course of 2 months and decided I will leave in august with or without a new position as this job is not possible for me full time. Note I was never given a formal or verbal warning regarding my absences.
Early July- part time position became available within company. Did a one week working interview and it seemed promising that I’d get the position. (Being asked when I could start, team lead mentioning how they will be soon fully staffed, implying I’ll be hired)
Mid July- told I did not get the position due to my absences in my prior position.

Reason I feel I have a legal case against my employer-
I believe they denied my ADA request unjustly, since there were other part time staff members in my department.

I was never given any warning that my absences were I inexcusable, as my co workers who were also frequently absent got verbal warnings and I didn’t.
In good faith I believed my absences were excused and would not be brought up to my new potential manager

I didn’t have the opportunity to explain that my disability was the reason for my absences in my prior position as I didn’t know my previous manager would disclose that information. I wasn’t even told they would be contacted asking about my job performance. Had I known, I would have been forthright and explained that my absences were due to fatigue and a stamina issue I have, therefore working less hours means I would not have these issues.

My previous position caused emotional and mental hardship as I was not given the normal proper training or on-boarding out of neglect from team leads, further aggravating my symptoms

I believe I was indirectly discriminated against for my disability for several reasons- I was not treated the same as my co workers. I was not given accommodations because my disability is invisible. information about me was shared of which was incorrectly interpreted, or which I did not consent to give in the first place. It put me in a position where because I didn’t disclose my disability to my potential new manager I didn’t get the job offer. the lack of accommodation in my previous position caused me to be turned down for a new position that would be better suited for my disability. I faced months of emotional, mental and physical hardship working a position without accommodations, waiting an outrageously long time to get a response regarding my accommodation, and being basically told I was getting a position I was turned down for.

I was told by a lawyer that I have a good case, but I was looking for other insights on what I should do. Do I have a good case? Even if everything they did was “legal”, the toll of these events caused detrimental harm to me and my disability, I will now be out of the job and since I’m choosing to leave I will not receive unemployment.

Any insights will be helpful, but any assumptions or judgments regarding my disability are not welcome.

I should say my goals would be the receive recognition of wrongdoing, potentially offering me the job I was turned down for because of this wrongdoing, or potential financial compensation for the toll this took on me and for the discrimination I received.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Unpleasant situation. Unfortunately our world is full of discrimination nowadays. My friend was fired last month because one of her collegues... I think you all know what does sexual harassment means. She just couldn't protect her rights.
I wish you good luck!
Which has nothing to do with the situation OP is in. OP wasn't discriminated against...sexually or otherwise. Please, refrain from making irrelevant comments to other members threads. Thank You.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Unpleasant situation. Unfortunately our world is full of discrimination nowadays. My friend was fired last month because one of her collegues... I think you all know what does sexual harassment means. She just couldn't protect her rights.
I wish you good luck!
What are you blathering about? The world has ALWAYS been full of discrimination, most of it legal. In the OP's case, there likely wasn't any illegal discrimination.

Just Blue

What are you blathering about? The world has ALWAYS been full of discrimination, most of it legal. In the OP's case, there likely wasn't any illegal discrimination.
I think Tracy is dropping us a dime from the Ukraine. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">