• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not married, summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



we live in il. and my son agreed to let his daughter move to missouri.they have now summons him for back child support. they were never married and a paternity test was never taken yet he knows he is the father and his name is on the birth certificate. he did live with her for about 4 months after the baby was born.she is now remarried and she has allowed us to see the baby until the summons. the visitation was ordered in il.can she stop the visitation,my son has not paid any child support since they went their seperate ways which was a year and a half ago. there are receipts where he did pay support when they were together. my question is will he have to pay what they are asking and they also want him to pay for her lawyers fees. in the past since the spilt they never ask for any support. please help!


Grandma B

Are you saying your son has a court order for visitation but there is no court order for child support?

She has no right to deny him visitation (if court ordered) whether he is paying support or not. They are separate issues. She can, however, ask to have him held in contempt if he owes back support.

If the back child support and attorney fees are allowed by the court, of course he'll have to pay them. Court orders cannot be ignored without severe repercussions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential