• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not my account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



not my account?

What is the name of your state? ohio
In Aug,2003, I signed up on line for a new phone line. (I was moving in Sept,2003). After I had done this I decided to also sign up for there DSL. So I called the company. While signing me up for DSL, the person said to me, I am going to change your number and make it a easier one to remember, I said ok... just sort of let it go, not much thought to that, right? WRONG! In Sept, I started getting 2 bills, one for each phone number, I called they said no problem we will close it, here is you conformation number. Well I now have 4 comformation numbers. In Nov. I called a different custmer support number I got off the web, The person there was nice and said she would take care of it. Called me back the next day, said it was gone, sent me a letter, stating "my" account(is it really mine?) had been closed and I owed nothing. Then the collection letters started. I have 14 letters from them, and at least 50 phone calls in between the two companys. I am getting nowhere fast! the collection company will not accept the letter from the phone company, saying the phone company has to call them and tell them the letter is real. I now can not get any one to take my calls at the phone company. What can I do? is there and legal way to get this settled. I now have 2 negitive reports that have been added to my credit report, 1 for the phone company, 1 from the collection company, on a bill I never owed!

Any advise would be great
Last edited:


Senior Member
I'd suggest that you write a letter to the phone company and send it CRRR. Tell them to contact the collection agency and withdraw the account. and clear your credit report.Send a copy of the letter saying the account is closed and you owe nothing. Send a copy of the letter and enclosure to your state Public Service Commission, the state AG, the BBB and finally, the FCC in Washington.
Be sure you let the phone company know that you are copying the letter to all of these other recepitents.
In the future, don't try and sett;e stuff over the phone. Do it in writing and send it with a return receipt. If it's not in writing, it never happened.


Thank you very much I have learned alot over this. I will do as you suggested. and again thank you for your time.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential