• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not on SSI but inheritance put in a supplemental needs trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

One would have to read the trust to tell. That would take a lawyer. Note, the fact that you're not on SSI or other relief that would require the trust to preserve your benefits means little. My son is on a spendthrift trust because I don't trust him not to burn through it all immediately on stupid stuff.

FlyingRon

Why? It won't make much of a difference. The money will still be metered out by the trustee (who won't be you).

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Father passed away, left inheritance in a supplemental needs trust. Can this be changed?
The term "supplemental needs trust" doesn't tell me a whole lot since the terms of trusts can vary significantly. You need to review the actual terms of the trust. Note, though, that if it was trust that was designed to help keep you eligible for SSI or other means based programs it would not allow you to change the trust on your own because if you had that power you'd also lose the benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">