• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not qualified to counsel.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NANDCDAD

From New York.

Wondering if a Civil Law suit could be filed againist an individual for providing emotional counseling to someone on their feeling when they have no certifications or degrees.

My wife started to have feelings about me that she felt were negative and that she was drifting away. Instead of seeking professional advice from a counselor she started talking to a family friend of 15 yrs. The friend counseled her on how to address her feelings and express them to me. Ultimately my wife started to develop feelings for the other man and, after months of hiding it from me, admitted that she was in love with him.

He claims that his feelings were not the same but, that he was just trying to get her to address her feelings about me. Regardless the result has been disasterous because, my wife wants to end our marriage because she has not come to grips with her feelings.

In effect, I believe this friend provided counseling in a wreckless manner and was not qualified or competant to recognize her feelings toward him and caused her to react the way she did and fall in love with him.

If this situation leads to divorce it will result in financial hardship for both me and my wife. Who believes I could file a Civil Law suit againist him holding him financially Libel for providing counsling without qualifications or certifications?

Thanks for any thoughts!

pojo2

No a chance, he was a friend providing a shoulder for your wife to cry on. Something she could not or did not get from you.

BelizeBreeze

NANDCDAD said:
From New York.

Wondering if a Civil Law suit could be filed againist an individual for providing emotional counseling to someone on their feeling when they have no certifications or degrees.

My wife started to have feelings about me that she felt were negative and that she was drifting away. Instead of seeking professional advice from a counselor she started talking to a family friend of 15 yrs. The friend counseled her on how to address her feelings and express them to me. Ultimately my wife started to develop feelings for the other man and, after months of hiding it from me, admitted that she was in love with him.

He claims that his feelings were not the same but, that he was just trying to get her to address her feelings about me. Regardless the result has been disasterous because, my wife wants to end our marriage because she has not come to grips with her feelings.

In effect, I believe this friend provided counseling in a wreckless manner and was not qualified or competant to recognize her feelings toward him and caused her to react the way she did and fall in love with him.

If this situation leads to divorce it will result in financial hardship for both me and my wife. Who believes I could file a Civil Law suit againist him holding him financially Libel for providing counsling without qualifications or certifications?

Thanks for any thoughts!
You have stated no legal issue for which equity can be sought. Even if your wife files for divorce you have not given here any grounds on which to prevail in an 'alienation of affection' suit, which is the ONLY cause you remotely could have claimed.

rmet4nzkx

A family friend owes no duty as a clinician and the state of New York has by legislation, abolished the cause of action of Alienation of Affections.

Have you considered couples counseling with a qualified counselor, or individual counseling if she won't agree?

BelizeBreeze

rmet4nzkx said:
A family friend owes no duty as a clinician and the state of New York has by legislation, abolished the cause of action of Alienation of Affections.

Have you considered couples counseling with a qualified counselor, or individual counseling if she won't agree?
Have you considered sleeping with the neighbor's wife???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">