• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not registered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina...I am looking for real help here. I bought a new car at KIA and did not receive the registration. Three weeks later I called the dealership and was told it was the DMV's fault that they were running behind. I called the DMV who had no records from the dealership so I called back and spoke to the woman who does the paperwork there. She informed me that the papers had been filled out incorrectly and so they were returned but she was "walking them through" and I would have the registration within one week. Two weeks later, I called repeatedly but could not get a call back. 7 weeks into this odyssey, my husband got a call from someone claiming to be with the DMV in Myrtle Beach SC over 3 hours away and they told hubby that the tag we had was no longer in his name and we needed to buy a new tag. When he told me this, I immediately called the local DMV who stated that the tag is still in hubby's name and confirmed the number was NOT the DMV. ( I suspect someone from KIA in Myrtle beach)and it was a mobile phone. Now, after 7 weeks had passed and I STILL did not have a registration, I walked into the dealership and was told that the problem was the car was in my husbands name (as the last car was) and the tag was in my name and again they insisted I buy a new tag. I refused, stating that I was transferring the tag. At this time, the man asked me for proof that I had paid car taxes in June!!!!!!!!! I asked him for a computer and immediately pulled up the info and printed it and handed it to him. He told me that he would have it for me in 1-2 days. That was a week ago and.....no, after 2 months, I still do not have a registration and the credit union that has financed us does not have the title. I am not sure what else there is to do. I don't think it is fair I should have to pay an attorney to send them a letter to get the paperwork and am just considering having an attorney file suit against them. Of course, if I do that, I won't drop it when they cough up the title, they will have to pay me back for attorneys fee's. Any thoughts? What is happening here?

Last edited:

Update

Since I didn't get a response on here I ended up calling the corporate office. I explain to them what was going on and within 48 hours not only was the car registered but my husband and I were called into the dealership. They took back the 2015 car and handed us a 2016 car of the exact make model and amenities. It was an even swap and they even got is a better interest rate at financing!!!! Alls well that ends well I guess.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
They took back the 2015 car and handed us a 2016 car of the exact make model and amenities.
Good for you, although it sounds very odd that due to a registration screw up the dealership exchanged your car for a new one. I can see getting free oil changes or something similar, but a new car?

Please believe me we were shocked as anybody when that happened. I think it had something to do with the fact that when corporate called my husband and asked what they could do to make things better, my husband stated to them "give my wife what she came in for in the first place." After all I originally went in for a 2016 and ended up with a 2015. The only other thing I could think of was that they could be in some sort of legal trouble for not registering my car all that time. And just as an FYI, two days ago and edible arrangement showed up at my door sent by the local dealership telling me to enjoy my new car.

LdiJ

Please believe me we were shocked as anybody when that happened. I think it had something to do with the fact that when corporate called my husband and asked what they could do to make things better, my husband stated to them "give my wife what she came in for in the first place." After all I originally went in for a 2016 and ended up with a 2015. The only other thing I could think of was that they could be in some sort of legal trouble for not registering my car all that time. And just as an FYI, two days ago and edible arrangement showed up at my door sent by the local dealership telling me to enjoy my new car.
Corporate must have lit a serious fire under that dealership. Good for you guys!

Im guessing they did!!! And a big fire it must have been too!!! I did express to corporate that I was driving an unregistered car for three months and making payments on it and it didn't even legally belong to me. I expressed that the final thing about the police threatening to impound the car was the last straw and how mad I was and how sorry I was that I even bought the car. They wanted to make it right....and they did. No complaints here..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">