• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not satisfied with prosecutor in murder trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunni

A very good friend was murdered almost 3 years ago. The trial is finally comming up in Oct. The family has talked to the Attorney, and are not at all happy with the way he is/isn't handling the case. He was shot 9 times in the back and head. There were 2 eye witnesses. Seems cut and dried, but isn't looking that way. This man's friends and family are really afraid that the perp will get a slap on the wrist, and let go. Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that this happened in Missouri. And, the deceased was a black man, we believe killed for that reason only. How should the family proceed, and what questions should be asked of the attorney, as it seems he is totally unconcerned. We know of no witnesses to be called, except the other 2 people that were in the house at the time of murder. The newspaper said a knife was put in the hand of the victim, but we all know, and can prove, that isn't true.
Please help!

L

lawrat

Think, think think! Okay, let me give you some ideas here to steer you in the right direction:

1) Contact the NAACP --> I am sure they will be the first to tell you whether this is a case of a lazy prosecutor or a prejudiced one.

2) When you speak with the NAACP, ask them if they can recommend an attorney who can sue the defendant(s) for wrongful death or something to that effect. Remember OJ trial. In a criminal trial, a defendant must be found guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt". In a civil trial, the threshold is much lower --> preponderance of the evidence.

To illustrate on a scale, beyond a reasonable doubt is like almost to the floor on one side. preponderance is like just barely tipping.

P

peter

Has it ever occured to you itmight NOT be a racial crime?

Shot 9 times sounds more like drug dealers..
or he was having an affair with the shooters wife..

If thats the case then race has nothing to do with it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Peter, I don't know whether to laugh or cry when you respond to a post. Either you are so extremely bright that your imagination runs wild, or you're so extremely dimwitted that your imagination runs wild.

Either way, I've got to wonder what the writers think when they read you. The emotions must run the gammut from sheer disgust, all the way through being dumbfounded and speechless, to immense incredulity.

Where do you come up with these thoughts of yours? "Son of Sam" has nothin' on you, Bro.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

peter

Actually I am very bright, and have dealt with so many professional scumbags in my life that you learn to read between the lines

OK they are not doing much about the murder., if it was because he was black civil rights groups would have been on this long ago. So what does that leave us with ?

9 gunshots to the head and back, so its a drug deal gone bad or he was caught with the wifey, ummm how many gun owners have a semi automatic with 9 rounds IN ONE GUN? .....those are the two most logical choices to the no action by the DA.

Sure my imaginations runs wild, but when something isn't right well its isn't right.

And you have to investigate ALL possibilities

S

Sunni

Thank you for your suggestions, I will pass it along to the family. I guess they were right to ask for help, obviously none of us know where to turn for help. At least you have given them something. I really hope they don't settle for less than murder 1, he is guilty, he pointed that gun at another man's body and pulled the trigger several times. As far as I know, they have never even considered the idea that maybe the attorney could be prejudiced. I knew this man very well. For 5 years I managed and worked in a local bar where he was a regular customer. He was the only black person I ever saw in that bar, and we got to know each other well. Everyone liked him, except those who hate all people who are different from themselves. And those people were set straight immediately. He was a good man at heart, knew no stranger, and we miss him badly. Thank you for your help!QUOTE]Originally posted by lawrat:
Think, think think! Okay, let me give you some ideas here to steer you in the right direction:

1) Contact the NAACP --&gt; I am sure they will be the first to tell you whether this is a case of a lazy prosecutor or a prejudiced one.

2) When you speak with the NAACP, ask them if they can recommend an attorney who can sue the defendant(s) for wrongful death or something to that effect. Remember OJ trial. In a criminal trial, a defendant must be found guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt". In a civil trial, the threshold is much lower --&gt; preponderance of the evidence.

To illustrate on a scale, beyond a reasonable doubt is like almost to the floor on one side. preponderance is like just barely tipping.
[/QUOTE]

S

Sunni

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:
The facts are the same whether he was involved with drugs or someone's wife. It really doesn't give someone the right to kill. However, I knew this man well, he was the first person to arrive at the bar where I worked every day. Many times he was the last to leave. He went to the bank for change at least 2-3 times a week. He was a very likable man, and was the only black man I've ever known that was known and liked by every bar owner in our little town. He never touched drugs, and tried more than once to talk to others about it. It only stands to reason that he was not one to play with the women, for him to have had such a good relationship with bar owners, managers, and staff. Yes, he was a man, and he loved to tease, but he was just like any other man to everyone, the fact that he was black is just that, a fact. And the couple that invited him to their home that night (along with an Indian friend) did live in the same house, but she was married to someone else who was not even at home that night. Surely hubby wouldn't have left wifey with a strange black man and his Indian friend, if he had thought she had anything to fear.
Thank you for taking time to respond, and for letting us know how even attorneys just assume that because he was black, he must have been doing something wrong for someone to shot him like that. It's the same way the attorney here sounds. And that's exactly the problem. The question was where to go, who to talk to, so we can be sure this man pays for what he has taken away from family and friends.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">