• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if I have a case?

• Thread starter NotaHappyCamper
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NotaHappyCamper

What is the name of your state? New York.

I am so angry right now, I dont know where to start!! I promise to be as brief as possible, while still making my point. :eek:

I am a bride to be, wedding is in one week. I am very much in love and am marrying a man from a family of Jehovah's Witnesses. I happen to be Catholic. He is not active in his religion at all but has remained with them so as to be able to have his family. (Anyone that doesnt understand that please email me.)

His sister and brother were supposed to be in the wedding. They are very happy for us, and know how happy we are as a couple. They have no problem with us getting married - even though JWs are supposed to stick to JWs.

However, an "elder" (who does not know me) decided to approach the brother and sister at a "meeting" and tell them that it would be frowned upon for them to be in our wedding = basically hinting that this would hurt their "standing" with the JWs. That's the first problem, the elder took away the rights of the brother and sister by scaring them. Second problem, if it's ok for the groom to be in the wedding, why isnt it ok for the others?? And I would love to understand why it's ok for them to attend the wedding, but not be in it? Isnt this discrimation against me because of my religion?? The stress I am going through right now is unbelievable, and if there is ANY legal action I can take, I would love to know!

Please email me if you have any questions, I realize one must be familiar with the JWs to understand...... :confused:

V

Votan

There is little you can do about it, or benefit from it legally. Legal action will generate bitterness and anemity perhaps for the lifetime. The best thing you can do, and you should do, ignore what the elder talked to brother and sister, get happy with you husband and live your life with your family and enjoy your friendship with all good will. It will not take long before they realize that they overreacted and will restor their affection with you, your husband and your family. For now, just ignore them. Avoid making a big deal of it. Your life with your husband should be all the happiness you are seeking. Congratulation for your wedding.

HomeGuru

NotaHappyCamper said:
What is the name of your state? New York.

I am so angry right now, I dont know where to start!! I promise to be as brief as possible, while still making my point. :eek:

I am a bride to be, wedding is in one week. I am very much in love and am marrying a man from a family of Jehovah's Witnesses. I happen to be Catholic. He is not active in his religion at all but has remained with them so as to be able to have his family. (Anyone that doesnt understand that please email me.)

His sister and brother were supposed to be in the wedding. They are very happy for us, and know how happy we are as a couple. They have no problem with us getting married - even though JWs are supposed to stick to JWs.

However, an "elder" (who does not know me) decided to approach the brother and sister at a "meeting" and tell them that it would be frowned upon for them to be in our wedding = basically hinting that this would hurt their "standing" with the JWs. That's the first problem, the elder took away the rights of the brother and sister by scaring them. Second problem, if it's ok for the groom to be in the wedding, why isnt it ok for the others?? And I would love to understand why it's ok for them to attend the wedding, but not be in it? Isnt this discrimation against me because of my religion?? The stress I am going through right now is unbelievable, and if there is ANY legal action I can take, I would love to know!

Please email me if you have any questions, I realize one must be familiar with the JWs to understand.....

**A: why all the fuss. Just fly down to Las Vegas and get married fast and easy.
They even have a drive through window and don't care one bit if you are Catholic, a Shaolin monk,
an atheist, a JW etc.
In many cases, mixed religion marriages are "mixed up" because of the protocol of each religion taking it's own antiquated stand.

N

NotaHappyCamper

Thank you!! I am getting very excited!

I'm really not making a bid deal out of it - to them anyway! But it DOES upset me.

I am NOT looking to reap the benefits of a case... I am looking to find out just exactly HOW a religion such as this can exist in America, and take away almost ALL of the freedoms of its members as well as discrimate against EVERYONE that is not one of them.....

It's just ridiculous.....

Just for the record - future hubby is MORE upset about this than I am.

N

NotaHappyCamper

LOL! :) Too late to elope! Wedding is next week and paid for!

But, I sure wish I had done that instead!!!

I

Illinois Dad

"I am looking to find out just exactly HOW a religion such as this can exist in America"

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

It is BECAUSE this is America that such a religion can exist. Religious freedom is guaranteed in the first amendment to the constitution, as quoted above. No one is forcing anyone to participate in this religion or any other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">