• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if it is custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzjay

What is the name of your state? New York

My daughter went to stay with my cousin after I had been having some problems with her behavior. She wanted to go and so I let her. Now my cousin is talking about going to court for custody or guardianship. Is this necessary.:confused:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York

My daughter went to stay with my cousin after I had been having some problems with her behavior. She wanted to go and so I let her. Now my cousin is talking about going to court for custody or guardianship. Is this necessary.:confused:
No, its not necessary, and I would not recommend voluntarily doing that.

However, it may be that your cousin needs custody or guardianship in order to enrol your child in school, or put your child on her medical insurance etc. If that is the case, there are alternative solutions.

mzjay

No, its not necessary, and I would not recommend voluntarily doing that.

However, it may be that your cousin needs custody or guardianship in order to enrol your child in school, or put your child on her medical insurance etc. If that is the case, there are alternative solutions.
My daughter is enrolled in her HS of choice and she does not have to change at this point no matter where she lives. And she has medical insurance; but if my cousin did want to put my daughter on her medical insurance what are those other alteratives solutions. :confused:

LdiJ

My daughter is enrolled in her HS of choice and she does not have to change at this point no matter where she lives. And she has medical insurance; but if my cousin did want to put my daughter on her medical insurance what are those other alteratives solutions. :confused:
The alternate solution would be for you to provide the medical insurance, which it appears that either you or her father is already providing.

In those circumstances, I see no need for your cousin to have guardianship. She might need a power of attorney to get your daughter medical care, but other than that, she has no compelling reason to need guardianship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">