• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if this is a LL tenant issue or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I have a tenant who has a cat. I was just informed that he has a court order not to have any pets. I do not know the circumstances.
My question is can I get in ANY trouble for letting him have a cat?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I have a tenant who has a cat. I was just informed that he has a court order not to have any pets. I do not know the circumstances.
My question is can I get in ANY trouble for letting him have a cat?
No, you are not a party to his court orders.

FarmerJ

unless this tenant loses her /his guardianship of self and has a court appointed legal guardian then it is of no consequence to you as far as what his /her court orders are. AND if anyone as in social worker , or someone of a official capacity such as a PO officer or someone with the police dept who knows of the order makes a stink to you about it , be polite but ask for documentation of them having been court appointed to be the tenants legal guardian or you will have to decline discussing it any further!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">