• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but Medicare question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bwisnasky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

This is a weird situation, that just doesn't sound right to me, but knowing our government....

My inlaws recently ran into a situation that is going to cost them a lot of money. Essentially, my mother in law, who is deaf, was offered Medicare B back in 1996. Because she was on my father in laws insurance, she declined it, saving our government money in the process. Well my father in law retired, and his insurance just changed to where he essentially had to take Medicare B coverage. His Medicare coverage costs him $97 a month. However, because my mother in law declined it back in 1996, she isn't offered the same rate as him, and it is going to cost her $227 a month. That doesn't seem right to me as the only reason she would want Medicare B is because her husbands insurance changed and doesn't cover her anymore. To top things off, her coverage doesn't begin until July, which essentially means she has to go half the year without any kind of coverage, and they had to cut a bunch of things from their budget to make up the difference. That just seems wrong to me. Is there any sort of statute of limitations on a decision to decline the coverage? I will say although we are in NC now, they lived in Maryland when the original decision was made. Is there any way they can find a solution for this issue?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">