• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure of correct forum....question about foster care law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J&P11

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am a landlord and was asked by one of my tenants about allowing them to have a foster child in the home they rent from me as a way to make extra money. I immediately told them NO for several reasons. The main reason I gave was because there is a small lake/large pond right behind the home (which is why our renters are on average over age 55, these people are in their early 70's). I know that foster care is desperately needed and it's possible that they may have applied and been approved. I don't know the criteria. If they just do a criminal check and interview friends and family or church members, etc. I personally have had issues with the man and so have a couple of the other female neighbors. My teenage grand daughters who have often been on the property with us helping with yard work said "that man is creepy". He is rude and a bully. I had to block him from contacting me by text. One female veteran with PTSD has several times told him to stay away from her. He seems to enjoy sneaking up behind her and talk loudly, which scares her. Another woman said she had to tell him to stop knocking on her door,trying to offer her items that he no longer wanted. I noticed that he has taken down his Facebook page that had some questionable posts on it. His wife is nice but very seems to be very timid when he is around. She won't talk to anyone if he is outside with her, as if he is controlling and may be verbally abusive to her as he is to others. She has called me a few times after I've had a confrontation with the man (I am a senior citizen female), apologizing profusely for her husband's nasty behavior. I would be worried about a child living with them but don't know if I should say anything or to who. Is there an anonymous website in each State or County to voice concerns?

adjusterjack

You can't discriminate against people with children. He wouldn't need your permission to bring one into his home.

If he is such an ahole you likely have grounds to terminate his tenancy. If he is on month to month, you wouldn't need a reason.

Why don't you do that.

J&P11

I am not discriminating against people with children. It just happens that my tenants are ages 45-75. Most have lived there nearly fifteen years and one almost 20 years. These people have a lease that expires on December 30. They tried to get out of it two months ago and I okayed it. Two weeks later he retracted the notice and demanded that I honor the lease until the end. I am doing that but have learned from a neighbor that these people are planning to sneak out owing July rent and leaving no forwarding address. They would technically owe rent until the end of December.

adjusterjack

I am not discriminating against people with children.
Yes, you are.

It just happens that my tenants are ages 45-75
That doesn't count unless you are in a legal and registered, 55 and older community.

Most have lived there nearly fifteen years and one almost 20 years.
Also irrelevant.

have learned from a neighbor that these people are planning to sneak out owing July rent and leaving no forwarding address. They would technically owe rent until the end of December.
Technically, he might not.

See Isbey v. Crews and scroll down about halfway to the section that starts "With respect to the question of mitigation of damages..."

https://law.justia.com/cases/north-carolina/court-of-appeals/1981/8128dc300-1.html
If he sneaks out, you would have to re-rent as soon as reasonably possible under the same terms and conditions and you would then be entitled to the rent for the amount of time it took to re-rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">