• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what fair settlement amount is

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pony2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, I'm in CA and I have several questions about my case, but I'll start with the first one: I broke my neck during an event at work. (I fractured my C7 vertebrate.) I was in a neck brace, unable to drive, for about 3 months. Luckily I was able to work from home. I make about 58,000.00 a year, salaried. I received temporary benefits in the form of bi-weekly checks of half my salary, but I sent them back since I was still getting paid. I did not get surgery and my neck eventually healed. However, the doctor said I had about 80% mobility in my neck and that was permanent. Also, that I would have arthritis about 20 years sooner than normal. I'm back at work but I get frequent headaches and neckaches and they sent me back to Physical Therapy. I received permanent disability benefits, in installments, of around 17,000.00 plus future medical care. The information and assistance officer said to sign the paperwork and it would be sent to a judge. I'm waiting for the judge to approve it, I guess. My question is, does this seem like a fair settlement based on my circumstances? I have nothing to base this on so I don't know. I thought I might reach someone who's seen multiple cases like this who might be able to give me an idea. Thanks!

rharman

Fair Settlement

There is too much information missing to know if it is a good settlement or not, however, the I and A officer should be able to determine if the settlement is fair. Also, in California the Judge has the obligation to make sure the settlement is adequate. However, that determination sometimes depends on which Judge you get. If you let me know which WCAB office your case is at I might be able to steer you in the right direction. Also, which medical report is your settlement based on, i.e. QME, Primary treating doctor? What does that report rate at?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">