• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where to file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luckycharm603

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Illinois and Florida
I was born and raised in Illinois and lived in Florida the last 10 yrs.
I have been living in Illinois for the last 6 months now however, I still hold a Florida drivers license. I do not plan on returning to Florida until sometime at the beginning of next year. Can I file bankruptcy in Illinois or do I have to travel back to Florida to do it?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Luckycharm603 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Illinois and Florida
I was born and raised in Illinois and lived in Florida the last 10 yrs.
I have been living in Illinois for the last 6 months now however, I still hold a Florida drivers license. I do not plan on returning to Florida until sometime at the beginning of next year. Can I file bankruptcy in Illinois or do I have to travel back to Florida to do it?

My response:

Have you tried flipping a coin?

IAAL

Luckycharm603

Maybe my question was stupid ?????

Florida or Illinois
I asked this question before and all I got was a reply about try flipping a coin. That doesnt help nor did I find it funny. I am putting a question at there because I dont know the answer. Maybe it doesnt matter which state I file in (Fl or Il) ??? If thats the case, I need to know.
Recap: I am a Florida resident. I was born and raised in Illinois but lived the last 10 yrs in Florida. Six months ago, I moved back up to Illinois but still hold a Florida license. I plan on moving back to Florida but not until next year sometime.
My question is: Do I have to go back down to Florida to file since I am a Floridian or can I file in Illinois since this is where I am residing for now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">