• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not sure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bearlysurviving

What is the name of your state? Oregon
My last bankruptcy was discharged in Feb. 2001. I would like to file again next year if possible as my husband has been in the hospital and almost died so we are going to have major medical expenses and I can not work full time as he needs some care that we can not afford. My question is canI file next year? :confused:

bigun

You'll have to file a chapter 13. You may only file a 7 every 6 years and on 10/17 bk reform will change that to every 8 years.

janeg303

avoid bk twice

If I were you, Id try to avoid declaring bk for the second time. Although your husband is extremely ill, its not good to let your debt go ingnored. If I were you I try calling a certified credit counselor and just telling them about your situation. Then they can tell you what the best solution is for you, although it may not be credit counseling, it may not be bankruptcy either. BK can stay on your credit for up to ten years and if you declare it twice then thats 20 years. Then what happens when your husband gets better and you need credit for something, you may not be able to get it. Keep me posted. Im not trying to promote credit counseling or anything but Ive used one company in the past and I still talk to my counselor today, shes great. It might help also being able to talk to someone opposed to just declaring bk and moving on.

racer72

janeg303 said:
BK can stay on your credit for up to ten years and if you declare it twice then thats 20 years.
Bullsh!t. Each bankruptcy remains on your report for 10 years and independant of each other. If the OP files a chapter 13 tomorrow it will drop off the credit report 10 years after the filing date, not 20 years after the first bankruptcy.

Who's Liable?

janeg303 said:
If I were you, Id try to avoid declaring bk for the second time. Although your husband is extremely ill, its not good to let your debt go ingnored. If I were you I try calling a certified credit counselor and just telling them about your situation. Then they can tell you what the best solution is for you, although it may not be credit counseling, it may not be bankruptcy either. BK can stay on your credit for up to ten years and if you declare it twice then thats 20 years. Then what happens when your husband gets better and you need credit for something, you may not be able to get it. Keep me posted. Im not trying to promote credit counseling or anything but Ive used one company in the past and I still talk to my counselor today, shes great. It might help also being able to talk to someone opposed to just declaring bk and moving on.

What kidn of crap advice is that?

I see someone deleted your credit counseling links! Good for them...

Chapt 7 will stay on your credit up to 10 years, but there are people who have successfully taken it off after 5, and you can file 7 again after 6 years...

Additionally as the previous poster states, they do not run consecutively...

Ladynred

BK can stay on your credit for up to ten years and if you declare it twice then thats 20 years.
That's just the kind of crap that 'counseling' services tell people. Besides the fact that CCCS are CONTROLLED by the credit card companies and its ONLY true function is to keep people paying who SHOULD have filed bankruptcy to start with. 99% of them are SCAMS, and they can NOT protect you one bit from any legal action by creditors. Not to mention the FEES people have to keep paying, and paying, and paying. Most people would be better off, and better protected by filing Ch 13.

janeg303

Ya'll are fiesty. I meant each one could be held on on your credit for 10 years, not 20, sorry for the confusion. And my links were just there to help out, not to persuade someone to do something else. You dont need to be so rude, I was just trying to help, sorry for any confusion bearlysurviving...I was only looking to help but good thing you have these other members to clarify me...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">