• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not trying to cheat the system, just want to use it to my full advantage if I can.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas, but its a question about fedral tax deductions, specifically auto milage.
I work in Lewisville, but live in dallas (25miles one way). I do uber, amazon flex etc after work and use my car.
I wake up drive from dallas to Lewisville for a regular 40 hour a week job. I cannot deduct those miles I know.
after work (Mon to Fri only) I turn on my uber app and start taking orders right away.
My question is driving from my regular job to home (25 miles) as long as I have the app on and take the jobs offered and I am on purpose heading homeward bound , are those miles tax deductible?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Texas, but its a question about fedral tax deductions, specifically auto milage.
I work in Lewisville, but live in dallas (25miles one way). I do uber, amazon flex etc after work and use my car.
I wake up drive from dallas to Lewisville for a regular 40 hour a week job. I cannot deduct those miles I know.
after work (Mon to Fri only) I turn on my uber app and start taking orders right away.
My question is driving from my regular job to home (25 miles) as long as I have the app on and take the jobs offered and I am on purpose heading homeward bound , are those miles tax deductible?
Seems to me that if you have the app on and are accepting fares, you are working.

adjusterjack

I think that from work to your first customer is not deductible and from your last customer to home is not deductible.

You'll find the answer in IRS Publication 463:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

That is true, but I am heading in a certain direction (home) while I am not on a fare. (even though app is on) I know you can move from one spot to another to get more jobs and that is acceptable as a tax deduction , but to be traveling in one direction on purpose? If I leave my house and turn app on and go to store 10 miles away (turn app off at mile 9) is that tax deductible even though I may have not got a fare?
similar to that, traveling to a specific sport (store or home) but willing to take work if it is given to me.

This would be considered my 2nd job, so my first customer is covered (only mon to fri), but I can get around that as well, just take a fare after work in my work area and then start driving home (25 miles) and pick up whatever I get and if last fare is near home I wont claim those.

adjusterjack

From work to home is commute unless you have fares on the way.

If you have fares on the way you'll need more than one for the mileage between the fares to be deductible.

just take a fare after work in my work area and then start driving home (25 miles) and pick up whatever I get and if last fare is near home I wont claim those.
Yes, I can see that working.

I read all the irs publications, but nothing in there about traveling in a SPECIFIC direction while accepting any jobs that may come that way.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I read all the irs publications, but nothing in there about traveling in a SPECIFIC direction while accepting any jobs that may come that way.
From my knowledge of Uber, you go where the fare takes you, so the direction you start off in is largely irrelevant.

Thanks everyone for your responses, really appreciate that.
I will do it this way then.

Mon to Fri

go to my normal job. After work start app. pick up my first job and start my mileage deductions complete first trip. Keep app on and start driving home and accept any other jobs until I am close to home and turn it off.

Sat and Sun

Start app but not mileage deduction until after pick up first job and turn off mileage after last job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">