• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notarized statement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state? NY

I have a notorized statement from my son's father stating the debts he owes me and that he agrees to pay me. He has not paid me any of this debt, can I take him to small claims court for this? What if I can't locate him? I have been trying to track him down for family court with no luck. Can I still file a claim in small claims court? If I can and I win can I attach his wages if I locate him?


Senior Member
if you cant find him to serve with papers in family court how do you expect to serve him with a small claims action?

If you do find him your best bet would be to go through family court and get a support payment. That court is better equipped to enforce the support order and to make an order regarding past child support that is owed to you.

once you get a support order from family court you can then go about attaching his wages.


I am actually going through mily court to terminate his parental rights and have my husbad adopt my son. My son's bf hasn't seen him in 3 1/2 yrs or contacted either of us. In family court you can showthat you have made an attempt to find someone, whiich is what I did to have his visitaton revoked. I didn't know if small claims court had anything like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential