• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notary wrote Will with no witnesses!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The laws as written are perfectly reasonable and adequate. Changing the laws because of rare situtations like yours makes no sense in a practical nor theoretical sense.
Shadowbunny! Thanks for your input on this! It's good that the OP get several points of view! Even when some of those don't agree with her own!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Do you believe The South Carolina Codes Of Law should be changed to include daughter-in-law and son-in-law as heirs? I was married to my husband 15 years and stayed in the house with my mother and father-in-law for 2 years. I called them Momma and Daddy because that is what my husband wanted. After a year, I felt like they were my second parents! I remained close with my mother-in-law after my husband's death! I stayed with her some days and nights when she was sick and demented. She introduced me as her daughter! I took her to church and out to eat. The Codes Of Law is not fair! It needs to be changed, updated or more inclusive! How is it fair to disinherit a person when they were clearly written in a will? These Codes Of Law are from 1976, it is now 2019! Speak!!!
No.

No I do not think that the South Carolina Code of Laws should be changed so that those who die intestate (without a valid will) should have the widows/widowers of their deceased children inherit a portion.

If someone is predeceased by their adult child and they feel close enough to their son or daughter-in-law that they wish to leave them something, they can complete a legally valid will according to the laws of their state and have their final wishes stated expressly in their will. They can even rewrite their wills if their late child's widow/widower remarries and they no longer feel so close.

South Carolina's intestate laws of succession are fine.

South Carolina's laws about what constitutes a valid will are fine.

You are correct: things have changed since 1976. You can now, using the search engine of your choice, type "South Carolina valid will requirements" and immediately have access to a variety of sources informing you of those requirements, in layperson terms, and how a will can be contested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">