• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notary wrote Will with no witnesses!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Notary then illegally wrote the will and that may well be why the judge threw it out.

You need to report the notary and her notary brother.
No, the judge said the will was invalid because it did not have two witnesses and it was typed and signed by the notary but did not have two witnesses! It would have been valid if it were handwritten by my mother-in-law and had no witnesses according to The Codes Of Law!

PayrollHRGuy

No, the judge said the will was invalid because it did not have two witnesses and it was typed and signed by the notary but did not have two witnesses! It would have been valid if it were handwritten by my mother-in-law and had no witnesses according to The Codes Of Law!
That's right it would have been legal had the notary not typed it. Had your M-I-L handwritten the will the notary wouldn't have illegally been creating a will.

Mass_Shyster

I suggest contacting an attorney to see if a case for legal malpractice against the notary is possible. The daughter-in-law may have standing to sue as the intended beneficiary. Notary was practicing law, so may be liable for negligence.

I have no idea if this would fly, or if the notary has the ability to pay if found liable, but it may be worth investigating.

Do you believe The South Carolina Codes Of Law should be changed to include daughter-in-law and son-in-law as heirs? I was married to my husband 15 years and stayed in the house with my mother and father-in-law for 2 years. I called them Momma and Daddy because that is what my husband wanted. After a year, I felt like they were my second parents! I remained close with my mother-in-law after my husband's death! I stayed with her some days and nights when she was sick and demented. She introduced me as her daughter! I took her to church and out to eat. The Codes Of Law is not fair! It needs to be changed, updated or more inclusive! How is it fair to disinherit a person when they were clearly written in a will? These Codes Of Law are from 1976, it is now 2019! Speak!!!

ShyCat

Do you believe The South Carolina Codes Of Law should be changed to include daughter-in-law and son-in-law as heirs?
Absolutely not. If someone wants an in-law, a best friend, their parrot or cat to inherit, they simply need to execute a valid will. No way that should be dictated by law. You are being ridiculous.

Absolutely not. If someone wants an in-law, a best friend, their parrot or cat to inherit, they simply need to execute a valid will. No way that should be dictated by law. You are being ridiculous.
Thank you for your candor! I am just hurting because I feel robbed of my inheritance due to the notary's error!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do you believe The South Carolina Codes Of Law should be changed to include daughter-in-law and son-in-law as heirs? I was married to my husband 15 years and stayed in the house with my mother and father-in-law for 2 years. I called them Momma and Daddy because that is what my husband wanted. After a year, I felt like they were my second parents! I remained close with my mother-in-law after my husband's death! I stayed with her some days and nights when she was sick and demented. She introduced me as her daughter! I took her to church and out to eat. The Codes Of Law is not fair! It needs to be changed, updated or more inclusive! How is it fair to disinherit a person when they were clearly written in a will? These Codes Of Law are from 1976, it is now 2019! Speak!!!
I've been married to my wife for over 20 years and am very close to my in-laws. I would never expect to be considered an heir to my in-laws as a function of law.

I've been married to my wife for over 20 years and am very close to my in-laws. I would never expect to be considered an heir to my in-laws as a function of law.
Your circumstances are not like mine! My mother-in-law and husband wanted me to have the land! I was not Expecting to be considered! I was considered! It was written in an invalid will! I realize I should not have brought my situation online! I have asked to be removed from this forum!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your circumstances are not like mine! My mother-in-law and husband wanted me to have the land! I was not Expecting to be considered! I was considered! It was written in an invalid will! I realize I should not have brought my situation online! I have asked to be removed from this forum!
You asked if I feel that the law should be changed to include in-laws as those who are "heirs". I replied with my experience and stated that, no, I don't believe the law should be changed. If you ask the question, don't snap at those who answer. Yeesh!

You asked if I feel that the law should be changed to include in-laws as those who are "heirs". I replied with my experience and stated that, no, I don't believe the law should be changed. If you ask the question, don't snap at those who answer. Yeesh!
I did not snap, I replied by expressing what I felt. You are entitled to your feelings, and I am entitled to mine! We are two different people! I still believe the law should be changed! Your opinion did not change that view!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">