• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice from the court (no complaint has been filed?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rsgal4ever

I live in Oregon

I am not a U.S. citizen and do not have SSN. I was arrested on shoplifting (Theft Degree 2. ORS 164.045, which is a misdemeanor)at a department store. I stole several thinngs, about $300 worth.
On the day I was arrested, I was released because I had good id. I received a ciminal citation and court appearance date.

When I went to the court, someone gave me a sheet of paper and told me to go home. (I didn't have to stay there on that day.) I was allowed to leave the court without any trial or something.

Here's what I got.

Notice

No misdemeanor complaint has been filed at this time.

You were arrested or cited to appear on a misdemeanor crime. No formal complaint has been filed against you at this time by the District Attorney's Office. If you are in custody on this charge only, you will be released today. If somone posted security for you release, that person may be entitled to a refund subject to further orders of the court. At a minimum, the court will withhold 15% of the amount of security posted, but no more than $200, for court costs.

It is possible that a complaint may be issued against you in the future on this charge.

If a misdemeanor charge is going to be filed against you, you will received a letter from the District Attorney's office notifying you of a court date for the arraignment. That letter will be sent to the address you gave to the police officer at the time of your arrest. If you appear at the assigned arraignment date, you will avoid being arrested a second time on the same charge. If you do not appear at the assifned date, a warrant my be issued for your arrest.

I have some questions about this.

1. I have to leave for my country (I'm not a U.S. citizen) in 2 months. Can I leave the U.S. even if I don't hear anything from the court? and when I get back to the u.s. again, will I be rejected to get in (because of my record)?

2. What happens if there's a notifying letter from the court but I cannot receive it? (I'll probably be in my country when it gets here)

3. Why did I receive this notice from the court? Why wasn't I on any trial?

4. Can I think this notice means the next arraignment will hardly happen? ( of course, i know there's possiblity)

PLEASE HELP ME

I cannot do anything because of this notice. I need to go back to my country but there's nothing I can do right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">