• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NOTICE OF HEARING IN REMOVAL PROCEEDINGS after applying for citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kc73837

What is the name of your state? California

My stepdad recently applied for US citizenship. He is having issue getting the citizenship because around 10 years ago, he had an argument with his ex-wife and got in a fight. I think the police came and they were arrested. So now the immigration officer is asking for him to go to the court to have the court send the immigration office the file about the arrest case. My stepdad and his lawyer did so a couple months ago. Last week, he received a letter from NOTICE OF HEARING IN REMOVAL PROCEEDINGS. The letter didn’t say much and only gave a file # and told him that he must appear in immigration court on a specific date in September. I googled and seems like people are called to this court because homeland wants to kick them out.

My stepdad spoke to his lawyer and his lawyer said he never encountered anything like this before. After Trump took office, everything changed. The lawyer asked if my stepdad’s ex-wife can appear in court, which she’s willing to do (they are fine now). But I’m not 100% sure if this notice of hearing happened because immigration office asked the court for his case in regards to the fight. Does the file# on the notice of hearing provide any information that I can look up?

My question is how come a fight that took place a long time ago is having such a big effect? He was not charged of anything at that time by the police. He still has a legal green card. Good credit score. Works and pays taxes. Never had issue with the law after that arrest.

Anybody had this experience before? My stepdad and mom is pretty stressed out. So hoping to see if anybody had a similar experience that they can share?

Thanks.

kc73837

I meant the attorney heard of the hearing in removal proceedings but he never had a client who was called for this hearing because of applying for citizenship.

LdiJ

I meant the attorney heard of the hearing in removal proceedings but he never had a client who was called for this hearing because of applying for citizenship.
Its really unfortunate. Your stepdad is not the first person who has been a long term legal resident that is facing possible deportation for crimes that occurred many years ago. We all have to take responsibility for that. We all let Trump get elected.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Its really unfortunate. Your stepdad is not the first person who has been a long term legal resident that is facing possible deportation for crimes that occurred many years ago. We all have to take responsibility for that. We all let Trump get elected.
I didn't let Trump get elected. I don't want Trump in office now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">