• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of Intention to File 1099-C Form - Scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I just hope that the IRS offices get re-opened to full services soon. I have a lot of things pending that can't be dealt with right now and its frustrating. Transcripts are almost the least of it. I have a few things of the ilk that generally won't get resolved without a face to face appointment at a local office.
Yes, and for me add to that problem the fact that courts are largely shut down too so I can't get litigation moving either. With everything at a stand still there isn't much for me do on a lot of matters, and since I bill by the hour, if there aren't things for me to do, I don't get paid. Still, I'm grateful that I'm not in the dire straits that a lot of people find themselves in right now.

davew9128

I'll just point out that the issuance of a 1099-C doesn't require the OP to report it as income. Defenses would be:

a) Statutory exclusions to COD income under IRC 108 which I won't get into here.
b) Dispute as to the validity of the debt
c) Dispute as to the ability to legally collect the debt in the year the 1099 was issued (ie. collection SOL has expired)
d) Any other affirmative defense.

While the IRS may still come calling, b-d puts the IRS on the defensive if the matter goes to Tax Court or District Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">