• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of Termination of Tenancy v Notice to Pay Rent or Quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NancyAnne49

I am a Section 8 tenant in Fresno, California with my contract from 2-1-17 to 2-1-18.
On 5-26-17 landlord issued a Notice of Rent Increase to all Section 8 tenants only, raising rent to $750. effective 8-1-17
On 7-20-17 I was asked to sign a new lease for one year with rent at $675, which I did.
On 12-27-17 my Section 8 Annual Certification showed total rent to be $750.
I informed Section 8 about the new lease I signed.
On 4-5-18 I got a 90-day Notice of Termination of Tenancy, with a move out date of July 4, 2018.
On 4-6-18 I got a Notice to Pay Rent or Quit
On 4-18-18 I got another Notice to Pay Rent or Quit with the amount adjusted.
The amount of rent they were seeking is the difference between $675 and $750 monthly

Is the Notice of Termination still effective or was it superseded by the Notices to Pay Rent or Quit?

FarmerJ

Sounds like your LL may have gotten in trouble with section 8 LL cannot require a payment outside of the HAP contract they entered into with you and the program. LL still cannot force you to pay that difference . SO do you have a actual court date set where they are asking the court to evict you ? I suggest you find a tenants advocacy group to assist you with learning if your states landlord tenant laws have defined retaliation and if it applies to your situation, if they gave you a notice to move out then is the notice to pay or quit for the so called 75 a month difference ? or is it a lot larger? ( as in section 8 stopped paying them ? )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">