• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice to vacate the property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teresacheng9805

What is the name of your state? CA

My property is in San Lorenzo, California and now am living in Washington State. I have a month to month lease. One the lease, it clearig stated, either landlord and tenants can give a 30 day notice to terminate the lease. I want to move back. In May I gave a notice for the tenants to vacate the property on or before August 31, 2008. I have not heard from them or get June's rent payment. What must I do next. I tried to get information from the net, but is very confusing. In California, when an landlord give notice to vacate, must one pays relocation fees. Can the tenants stop paying rent after receiving the notice . If tey don't pay rent, can I serve them a 3 day notice. I need answers to all the questions.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

Tenants must pay rent until the end of the notice period. They could have turned around and given YOU a 30 day notice to be out in June and would not be obligated beyond that, but I'm assuming they did not, so they are still obligated to pay rent. Serve the 3 day notice.

CA LL

First off, your lease in CA is invalid in that a LL must give SIXTY days notice on a MTM if all residents in the unit have resided there over a year.

Next, does your property fall under a local rent/eviction control ordinance? That will affect a LOT of what happens from here on out.

Even if you give 60 (or more though I'm not sure why you gave so much notice), the tenant can turn around and give you 30 and only be liable for that 30 days.

You say IN MAY..when EXACTLY did you give the notice? How was it served? Did you offer the premoveout inspection in writing as required by CA law? Did the tenants say they would move before?

If no counter notice from tenants then you can serve the CA law compliant 3-day to pay/quit (make sure to serve according to CA law methods only) and start eviction for non payment.

If they have abandoned the place you may choose another direction. You can't do all of this from far away..you or a representative will need to do things in person.

teresacheng9805

notice to vacate the property

Thank you all for answering my questions. The property is not under rent control. I give them a longer notice is trying to be nice so they have plenty of time to find another place. I also stated that they can move out on or before August 31. I gave them notice when they can move out during the child is out of school. I had the same problem before, when the tenant decided to move out, they stopped paying rent and got away with it. Look like the current tenants is trying the same tricks on me

teresacheng9805

notice to vacate the property

Dear CA LL,

In respond to your question:

The lease was signed in 1994.

I do not know about "The premoveout inspection" must be in writing. They never said that they would move out because the rent is low,bu they are aware that one day I will move back to California and take back the place for own use. That is why I have never sell it.

I do have friend and relative there who can help me. Thanks again for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">