• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notification of loss of health insurance by employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motownjazz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I work for a small home care agency in Michigan. In October of last year, I received a letter from my employer's health care provider stating that my health insurance was cancelled as of October 31st. My employer gave me no notification that they were dropping (or changing it as I later found out) this health insurance. I thought that maybe they were late paying their bill (which is not new), since they continued to take out the premium participation that I pay for the next 2 months. It was not until I found out from my physician's office that my insurance was cancelled. Also, as of yet, they have not returned the money that they took for those 2 months. Is there a state law in Michigan that requires an employer to notify its employees when they are going to drop their health insurance coverage? If so, what recourse would I have?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In October of last year, I received a letter from my employer's health care provider stating that my health insurance was cancelled as of October 31st.

It was not until I found out from my physician's office that my insurance was cancelled.

I am having trouble reconciling these two statements. If you were notified in October that the insurance was being cancelled on October 31, how is it that you did not find out about the cancellation until your physician's office told you?

Is there a state law in Michigan that requires an employer to notify its employees when they are going to drop their health insurance coverage?

Even if there is, the notification you received from the provider would be acceptable as in this instance, the provider would be acting as agent of the employer.

ecmst12

If they were changing insurance companies and not dropping coverage completely, then wouldn't the premiums taken out of your check go towards the new coverage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">