• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nursing Homes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

majwashere

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My grandmother lives with my brother, they went in together about 6 years ago and purchased a home. After my step-grandfather died, she didn't want to move, so my brother helped her purchased the the home and land, and moved in with her. Her will states that that she leaves the house and land to my brother is anything was to happen to her. My grandmother is 85 and is getting where her physical health is getting bad. If she has to go into a nursing home, we know they will take her savings, is that correct?? But will they make my brother sell her half of the house?? He is trying to prepare in case something happens. Can she have it changed into his name, with her having lifetime rights?? Will this keep him from having to sell it??
He had put alot of money and time into the house and does not want to loose it.
thanks for your help
:confused:

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

majwashere said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My grandmother lives with my brother, they went in together about 6 years ago and purchased a home. After my step-grandfather died, she didn't want to move, so my brother helped her purchased the the home and land, and moved in with her. My grandmother is 85 and is getting where her health is getting bad. If she has to go into a nursing home, we know they will take her savings, is that correct?? But will they make my brother sell her half of the house?? He is trying to prepare in case something happens. Can she have it changed into his name, with her having lifetime rights?? Will this keep him from having to sell it??
He had put alot of money and time into the house and does not want to loose it.
thanks for your help
:confused:

My response:

I understand that he "doesn't want to lose" the house, but the fact is, it also belongs to her. What I don't understand is, why does it matter if she and he lose the house - - especially if she needs nursing care?

What is the REAL question here?

IAAL

M

majwashere

Because he lives there

Because he lives there and he has invested alot of time and money in it. I know that it is half her's, but he doesn't want to loose his home either. It's not like he has lived there all this time for nothing. He paid for over half of the house when they bought it. He just wants to know if there is a way he can keep from loosing it. She will live with him as long as she can. He is not trying to keep her from getting the care she needs, If that was true he would not have taking care of her this long. Between him and myself we are the only ones who take care of her. You would be asking this same question if it was you.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Because he lives there

majwashere said:
Because he lives there and he has invested alot of time and money in it. I know that it is half her's, but he doesn't want to loose his home either. It's not like he has lived there all this time for nothing. He paid for over half of the house when they bought it. He just wants to know if there is a way he can keep from loosing it. She will live with him as long as she can. He is not trying to keep her from getting the care she needs, If that was true he would not have taking care of her this long. Between him and myself we are the only ones who take care of her. You would be asking this same question if it was you.

My response:

The State will either require your brother to refinance the house to get her share out, or will place a short-term lien on the home, requiring payback to the State for use of taxpayor funds. This to stave off taxpayor funds from being used, or permanently lost.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">