• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Divorce Exceptional Circumstances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aillsma

I am looking for information about a divorce in NY, but there are exceptional circumstances. The couple went to a court house on 10-31-03 and signed the papers. The wife resided with her mother, and the husband (unknowingly to the wife) had been residing with another woman. This situation continued until 3-04 when they signed a lease together. However, he spent less than a weeks time in that apartment (also still residing with the other woman) before they moved out by 6-04 at which time she moved back with her mother. Thus, they never resided together for longer than a 1 week period. They also only saw eachother on a weekly basis at the most. The husband had been committing adultery, and the wife did so also. On 10-04 the wife found out about the other woman who was 8 months pregnant with the husbands child at the time.

Now the husband is trying to obtain a divorce. Of the NY qualifications, what can he use.

Also, the wife wants a divorce as well. However, she has stated that she wants to go after him for money. Now I am pretty sure that there is no way she can get money (correct me if I am wrong) since they did not support eachother or live together but will she be able to bring anything to court and make it more difficult??

Any info will be great. Thank you.

LdiJ

aillsma said:
I am looking for information about a divorce in NY, but there are exceptional circumstances. The couple went to a court house on 10-31-03 and signed the papers. The wife resided with her mother, and the husband (unknowingly to the wife) had been residing with another woman. This situation continued until 3-04 when they signed a lease together. However, he spent less than a weeks time in that apartment (also still residing with the other woman) before they moved out by 6-04 at which time she moved back with her mother. Thus, they never resided together for longer than a 1 week period. They also only saw eachother on a weekly basis at the most. The husband had been committing adultery, and the wife did so also. On 10-04 the wife found out about the other woman who was 8 months pregnant with the husbands child at the time.

Now the husband is trying to obtain a divorce. Of the NY qualifications, what can he use.

Also, the wife wants a divorce as well. However, she has stated that she wants to go after him for money. Now I am pretty sure that there is no way she can get money (correct me if I am wrong) since they did not support eachother or live together but will she be able to bring anything to court and make it more difficult??

Any info will be great. Thank you.
I am confused. Are you saying that they only resided together for one week of their married life? Or are you saying that they have resided together one week since being separated?

That and the actual length of their marriage, dramatically impacts any answer you might recieve.

aillsma

They never got seperated. They only lived together 1 week in thier married life. And they were married 10-31-03 until present.

LdiJ

aillsma said:
They never got seperated. They only lived together 1 week in thier married life. And they were married 10-31-03 until present.
In that case, its unlikely that either one of them would get any more than what they had going into the marriage.

However, if he signed a lease with her, and she got stuck with his share of the cost, he might get held liable for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">