• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY/NJ which state would have jurisdiction??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trotter

My boyfriend has been a NY resident for over 3 years. His wife lives in NJ and their property is in NJ. In Aug., he retained a NY attorney and filed for divorce. His wife was legally served. Approx. a month later his wife retained a NJ attorney and filed in NJ. When filing she lied and stated no other state had this action on record. As of yet, my boyfriend has not been legally served. Our question is........will NY be able to handle his divorce since he filed there first? Also--can her action in NJ be declared illegal since she knowingly lied?

[Edited by Trotter on 11-21-2000 at 05:44 PM]

LegalBeagle

Trotter said:
My boyfriend has been a NY resident for over 3 years. His wife lives in NJ and their property is in NJ. In Aug., he retained a NY attorney and filed for divorce. His wife was legally served. Approx. a month later his wife retained a NJ attorney and filed in NJ. When filing she lied and stated no other state had this action on record. As of yet, my boyfriend has not been legally served. Our question is........will NY be able to handle his divorce since he filed there first? Also--can her action in NJ be declared illegal since she knowingly lied?

1. NY
2. Yes

R

Russ1

LegalBeagle said:
Trotter said:

1. NY
2. Yes
It's amazing I have a similar case in Texas vs Utah, The difference is my x filed in Utah and the case defaulted after a year, and then I filed in Texas got divorced. She filed the next day in Utah. Texas ruled I had jurisdiction but the case in utah ignored it and now I'm in a appeal process in Utah due to alimony they awarded

L

LadyBlu

It's amazing I have a similar case in Texas vs Utah, The difference is my x filed in Utah and the case defaulted after a year, and then I filed in Texas got divorced. She filed the next day in Utah. Texas ruled I had jurisdiction but the case in utah ignored it and now I'm in a appeal process in Utah due to alimony they awarded
Just my opinion .... wasnt there children involved in your case though?
If there were that could be why the divorce is being pursued through the Utah courts. If the children are residents of Utah then TX would not have jurisdiction over them as they are not residents of TX and never have been.

R

Russ1

LadyBlu said:

Just my opinion .... wasnt there children involved in your case though?
If there were that could be why the divorce is being pursued through the Utah courts. If the children are residents of Utah then TX would not have jurisdiction over them as they are not residents of TX and never have been.
Yes you are right again :) about the childs jurisdiction. The judgement involving my child was never ruled on in Texas neither was personal property which is supported by Supreme Court rulings, however divorce and relief jurisdiction was ruled on in Texas and they do have jurisdiction to rule, Vanderbelt v. Vanderbelt; Estin v. Estin; Augustine v. Augustine....... the list goes on

Thanks, your comments have been very helpful to me and you know your stuff

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">