• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY RO law??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

My sister has come to visit me for about 3-4 weeks while she "tried to work it out" w/ her husband. She will file for divorce now, she's from Mississippi. He is harrassing all of us so bad, I already filed phone harrassment on behalf of myself, but now he's treatening her life, threatening to come here and hurt her, she wants a RO to keep his calls away. Today alone was 122 calls, with 64 messages, you can stay at your parents house but not your sisters, etc....when he gets on the phone w/ his 3 yr old son, he tells him horrible things about his mom. Can we file a RO or a TRO here in NY since she's here now? She's way to scared to return home at this point.


Queen Bee
You can file a restraining order in NY however it may not get too far. Also your sister needs to file divorce in Mississippi where she is from.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential