• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Unemployment Has Yet to Pay in 7 months!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nycqueensguy

What is the name of your state? New York State

I filed for benefits Dec 4 2017. I have not been paid till this day. I gave them information for two employers, and they approved me for one employer $244. None of that money has been released because they are still reviewing it. They sent a questionnaire which I responded to, then a month later they asked a few questions via the inbox, and now this is their latest message:

Your claim is on hold pending review. The review process typically takes 4-6 weeks to complete. Your benefits will be withheld during this process. We will contact you and your employer for additional information if we have not already done so. You must continue to certify each week to protect your rights to benefits. If you are found to be eligible, you will receive payment for each week you have certified for.

When I look at my benefits payment history this is what I see:

I just want to know what is taking so long? Why are they still holding onto the $6,433? I spoke to one person and they are reviewing the second employer because apparently they did not inform the IRS of wages paid to me (even though I have a 1099 from them). The rep also said they are trying to determine if I qualify for the maximum amount. Let's say I am found eligble, will I get more money because of the second employer? Also, since I have been claiming for weeks, do I get it in one lump sum? God forbid they do not approve the second employer, do I still get the $6k in one sum? Furthermore, why does the release date say 05/01/2018? What does that mean?

adjusterjack

Sorry, but I don't think anybody here can answer the why question. I have no clue. You'll have to keep making your weekly certification and looking for work.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that, yes, you get a lump sum for all the benefits back to the qualifying date.

There is no way to speed up the process. You'll just have to wait it out.

Chyvan

I can answer it.

I gave them information for two employers, and they approved me for one employer $244.
You still have a job.

NY has a horrible partial UI formula. Work 1 minute over each of 4 days in a week, and you get NOTHING even if it's less than $244.

You got waiting week credit in MAY. 5 months AFTER you applied. Therefore, the logical conclusion is that you are working four or more days at your one job almost consistently except for that week, and as long as you keep working 4 or more days, you're not getting anything.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Require clarification.

If you are still working, then chyvan may be correct. But I didn't interpret your statement as meaning that you are still working; I interpreted it to mean that you were let go from two employers. Once chyvan suggested the alternate reading, however, I have to admit she could be interpreting it correctly.

So please clarify. Are you or are you not, yes or no, still working for anyone?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Damn straight it would. If OP is really a contractor and is not misclassified, the employer does not pay into UI for the OP and he would not be eligible for benefits to begin with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">