• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I live in PA but my employer was in NY. For 19 years I worked in their PA based facility, but almost 2 years ago I was transferred to a NY based facility. I was laid off 2 weeks ago. Because PA SUI/SDI has always been taken out of my pay, even when working in NY, I registered for unemployment compensation in PA. Received a letter from PA today that all wages have been reported to the state of NY and I should register there. NY asks if I have ever served as an officer of a corporation. My wife runs a small non-profit wildlife rehabilitation facility. I serve as the president in name only, and have never received a salary. My wife takes a small salary. NY reghistration form suggests that even if I have never received a salary, I am tecnically not completely out of work because of being a corporate officer. PA never asked on their form. Will I be penalized for donating time to a non-profit charity after having paid PA SUI/SDI for 21 years? Any way to get arround it? I haven't completed the online form yet. Would appreciate any help or advice.

WGWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential