• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Cell Phone Ticket - Name Mis Spelling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coreydorn1

What is the name of your state? Corey - NJ
I got a cell phone ticket in NYC, My name last name is mis spelled on the ticket, when I search it to play / Plead it does not come up when I spell my name correctly. it only comes up when I use the mis spelling on the ticket.

is this a valid ticket?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I got a cell phone ticket in NYC, My name last name is mis spelled on the ticket, when I search it to play / Plead it does not come up when I spell my name correctly. it only comes up when I use the mis spelling on the ticket.

is this a valid ticket?
I'm sure they have your driver license # - pay it or you'll have much bigger problems.

Just Blue

is this a valid ticket?
Yes, it is.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

is this a valid ticket?
How badly is the name misspelled?

quincy

is this a valid ticket?
You can point out the error to the judge and the misspelling likely will be corrected and the ticket will need to be paid. Rarely would a spelling error/clerical error result in a ticket dismissal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How badly is the name misspelled?
Good question. I mean, if the name is Cheryl Smith and the OP's actual name is Tricia Robertson, then an argument could be made that the OP is not the person named in the ticket. Of course, the OP would have to lie to the court to use that defense (by telling the court that she wasn't physically given the citation in question).

quincy

Good question. I mean, if the name is Cheryl Smith and the OP's actual name is Tricia Robertson, then an argument could be made that the OP is not the person named in the ticket. Of course, the OP would have to lie to the court to use that defense (by telling the court that she wasn't physically given the citation in question).
Why would Tricia Robertson have Cheryl Smith's ticket?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
On the other hand, if OP's actual name is Tricia Robertson but the name on the ticket is Patricia Robertsen, it's still the same person.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
is this a valid ticket?
As you have been told, yes it is - if it's a fairly minor error which I assume it is.

You will then have 5 points on your New York driving record. If you get one more ticket within 18 months of this one you will be charged a $300 minimum Driver Responsibility Assessment in addition to whatever the fine/surcharge is for the ticket you get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">