• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC paying off mortgage early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnnC405

Hello, I own property in Brooklyn, NY. I recently sold my property and so I contacted my mortgage company for payoff. My maturity date is in 31 days. On my payoff, they are charging me a penalty and interest until my maturity date. I believe they said that they charge interest for 3 months if loan is paid before maturity date. I have sold another property before and when I had to pay off my mortgage early, I usually only have to pay a penalty and interest to that date that I am paying on. The closing lawyer present for my sale and the lawyer present for the buyer both told me that I should only be charged the penalty and not interest for 3 months. Does that seem right? I’ve called the mortgage company to tell them but they resorted to yelling at me and telling me that’s how they do things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">