• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Tenant Righs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjclark41

Junior Member
Hi,

I have recently signed a one-year lease in NYC, NY.

A few questions:
-I read on the attorney general's website the following:

1. Landlords must provide tenants with a written receipt when rent is paid in cash, a money order or a cashier's check or in any form other than a personal check of the tenant.

Is this true? I did not receive a receipt for a certified check - would that fall under this?

2. Each tenant must be informed in writing of the bank's name and address and the amount of the deposit?

Again, is this true?

3. Elevator Mirrors?

There must be a mirror in each self-service elevator in multilple dwellings so that people may see - prior to entering - if anyone is already in the elevator (Multiple Dwelling Lasw, 51-b, NYC admin code - 27-2042)

-Is this true, regardless of the building, year it was built, size, etc?

4. Landlords of multiple dwellings in NYC must also install a chain door guard on the entrance door to each apartment, so as to permit partial opening of the door.

-Is this true, again regardless of the year of the building, security, size, etc?

I just want to confirm some of this before I bring these before my landlord as we are in a series of disputes over tenant's rights.

Thanks,
Carolyn
 


You Are Guilty

Senior Member
cjclark41 said:
Hi,

I have recently signed a one-year lease in NYC, NY.
Welcome to the neighborhood.

cjclark41 said:
A few questions:
-I read on the attorney general's website the following:

1. Landlords must provide tenants with a written receipt when rent is paid in cash, a money order or a cashier's check or in any form other than a personal check of the tenant.

Is this true? I did not receive a receipt for a certified check - would that fall under this?
If it wasn't a certified personal check, then yes. And if it was, still yes, but you have to make the request in writing.

RPL 235-e says:
§235-e. Duty of landlord to provide written receipt. (a) Upon the
receipt of rent for residential premises in the form of cash or any
instrument other than the personal check of the tenant, it shall be the
duty of the landlord to provide the payor with a written receipt
containing the following:
1. The date;
2. The amount;
3. The identity of the premises and period for which paid; and
4. The signature and title of the person receiving the rent.
(b) Where a tenant, in writing, requests that a landlord provide a
receipt for rent paid by personal check, it shall be the duty of the
landlord to provide the payor with the receipt described in subdivision
(a) of this section for each such request made in writing.
cjclark41 said:
2. Each tenant must be informed in writing of the bank's name and address and the amount of the deposit?

Again, is this true?
I have never heard of this in the RPL, MDL, MRL, GOL or NYCRR. (On the other hand, I don't know for certain that a law like this does not exist.) On the third hand, who really cares what bank they use? What business is it of yours?

cjclark41 said:
3. Elevator Mirrors?

There must be a mirror in each self-service elevator in multilple dwellings so that people may see - prior to entering - if anyone is already in the elevator (Multiple Dwelling Lasw, 51-b, NYC admin code - 27-2042)

-Is this true, regardless of the building, year it was built, size, etc?
Yes, this is true, if it qualifies as a "multiple dwelling". (Basically anything larger than a two-family building).


cjclark41 said:
4. Landlords of multiple dwellings in NYC must also install a chain door guard on the entrance door to each apartment, so as to permit partial opening of the door.

-Is this true, again regardless of the year of the building, security, size, etc?
I've never heard of this. You, the tenant, have a statutory right to put whatever lock(s) you personally want, but it doesn't require the landlord to do so. Besides, chain guards are the most useless security device on the planet. A large dog can break one.

cjclark41 said:
I just want to confirm some of this before I bring these before my landlord as we are in a series of disputes over tenant's rights.
Good plan, but do you really think one tentant's complaints are going to sway a landlord who doesn't even care to comply with the law? (You can always call 311 and report the violations).
 

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">
Top