• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Traffic violations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I know there are several NYPD officers who frequent this site. I was recently issued a ticket for a violation that in my 20+ years of driving was unaware of. Negligence is not a defense. In this case, the officers where lined up handing out ticket after ticket. Regardless, I was caught off guard (even considering my former MOS work).

Instead of offering advice about an actual violation, would people who are familiar with the traffic code offer any instances of typical violations where an experienced driver are caught and surprised? If the intent of a violation is to improve safety, interested parties reading responses would be more informed to act in a prudent and lawful manner.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I hope this topic is appropriate for the forum and passes the MODs.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I know there are several NYPD officers who frequent this site. I was recently issued a ticket for a violation that in my 20+ years of driving was unaware of. Negligence is not a defense. In this case, the officers where lined up handing out ticket after ticket. Regardless, I was caught off guard (even considering my former MOS work).

Instead of offering advice about an actual violation, would people who are familiar with the traffic code offer any instances of typical violations where an experienced driver are caught and surprised? If the intent of a violation is to improve safety, interested parties reading responses would be more informed to act in a prudent and lawful manner.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I hope this topic is appropriate for the forum and passes the MODs.
If you have a legal question regarding an actual matter you are dealing with, please post it. This really isn't a "chat" forum.

Bali Hai

It's about putting money in the city coffer. If you are from NYC you already know that and nothing more needs to be said.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There are no NYPD officers here that I know of.

If you have a question then ask it. It seems like you just want to be comforted after having gotten a ticket.

What did you get a ticket for?

jjny

OK-
Can someone explain why VTL 1163a would be used for this situation:

Exiting a NYC bridge with one way traffic (3 lanes in total) to a road with two lanes South and one lane North. Turning South in the middle lane of bridge exit ramp to the right lane of the Southbound Ave. Two RMP parked several hundred feet away, officers on foot waiting for offending drivers one after another. No pavement markings, one "Left Turn Only" sign.

1163a sounds more more appropriate for a failure to signal violation. Why wouldn't one site 1160?

If one pleas "not guilty" and has hearing and is later found guilty by the hearing officer, does the ticket value increase with additional surcharges or court fees over the existing figure?

Thank you

HighwayMan

OK-
Exiting a NYC bridge with one way traffic
Huh? There are no one-way bridges in NYC that I know of. Why not just say what bridge?

OK-
(3 lanes in total) to a road with two lanes South and one lane North. Turning South in the middle lane of bridge exit ramp to the right lane of the Southbound Ave.
I don't know about anyone else, but this is just totally confusing me. Your description of the roadway leaves alot to be desired. Again, just tell us the bridge and the direction you were traveling.

OK-
If one pleas "not guilty" and has hearing and is later found guilty by the hearing officer, does the ticket value increase with additional surcharges or court fees over the existing figure?
No, but the judge is free to impose a higher than minimum fine usually based upon your driving record.

Silverplum

Huh? There are no one-way bridges in NYC that I know of. Why not just say what bridge?

I don't know about anyone else, but this is just totally confusing me. Your description of the roadway leaves alot to be desired. Again, just tell us the bridge and the direction you were traveling.
Very confusing. Words happening all over the place.

jjny

Madison Ave Bridge exit ramp (West) towards 5th Ave. Left turn from center lane (3 lanes in total). This is part of the small section where 5th is two way (one lane North and two South).

Last edited:

HighwayMan

So you made a left turn from the center lane, is that the bottom line?

If so then you cannot do that unless there are traffic control devices present (signs, pavement markings, or both) which explicitly permit it.

VTL 1163(a) would be an appropriate charge if you failed to signal your turn.

jjny

Highwayman, correct, but the ticket for the turn you described was issued as a 1163a. Description/Narrative something to the tune of: INV LFT TN. (Which I interpret as invalid left turn.)

Can you advise how I can through discovery obtain the officer's notes from the ticket back?

HighwayMan

Highwayman, correct, but the ticket for the turn you described was issued as a 1163a. Description/Narrative something to the tune of: INV LFT TN. (Which I interpret as invalid left turn.)
You may have an issue with the weird description of the offense. What does it actually say? I don't know why anyone would write it that way. VTL 1163 (a) is written for failing to signal a turn. Did you signal the turn?

When you were stopped did the officer tell you what you did wrong, i.e. was the offense explained to you?

Can you advise how I can through discovery obtain the officer's notes from the ticket back?
Sorry, there is no discovery in New York State in traffic cases, especially not in the Traffic Violations Bureau. You probably can look at the officer's notes during the hearing after the officer testifies, but that's about it.

What side of the bridge was this written for? Manhattan? Have you received a trial notice yet?

I could probably make a decent argument for you and would stand a good chance of winning - but that's only because I have extensive experience with the TVB. You might not make out so well without an attorney.

You Are Guilty

Looking at the roadway (http://i.imgur.com/OdM2eak.jpg), it does seem the "center lane" splits without any restrictive signage. A can see being dinged for a failure to signal, but I agree with OP this does not appear to be an illegal turn.

(This presumes OP made the left from the "left lane" before it split into the "left and center lanes". A left turn from the right lane is still verboten in every state).

HighwayMan

I guess the OP's "left turn only" sign is out of view of the photo. I also don't really see three lanes only two.

I've never been across that bridge and I was assuming it just emptied onto the street.

If the OP confirms that the photo is the location of record then we can continue. I will ask him again if he did use his signal and take it from there.

I'm not sure how anyone "several hundred feet away" could have seen much of anything.

jjny

I replied with links to Google map, but they must be restricted, so it never was posted. The location is further down the ramp (West) from that photo in the 5th Ave direction where it meets 5th Ave. I'll try to clarify Q's above. Yes, Manhattan side.

I think you could Google 5th Ave and W138 St, NY NY and see the intersection. Issue is a turn from center lane to right lane of 5th Ave. Only signage is LEFT TURN MUST TURN LEFT. No lines or anything present.

Officer told me in a hurry, you can't turn left from center lane and disappeared for 20 minutes to RMP. Two officers where there handing out tickets a little South of the bus stop on 5th Ave South of 138th St.

Other bridge exits in area have signs which notate each lane and where it should proceed, most also have lane markings on the pavement. This is a money maker for the city.

I could probably post the portion of the ticket with the DESCRIPTION/Narrative if someone will let me know where to host/how to post. I have medical professionals in the family and they are no match to this handwriting!

No hearing date yet. I haven't even responded. I'm still determining how to proceed.

YES, I had my signal on.

I hope I answered all of the Q's. Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">