• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS- 50 in a 35.. Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Then it should be the state limit of 55.
That's what I've assumed, although fellow drivers seem to have different opinions.

Logic would dictate that a road that short (<6 miles) with stop lights at multiple intersections should have a lower speed limit than the LIE.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It was in the town of Sardinia, in Erie County. And it was a state trooper.
New York State Troopers do not prosecute their own traffic cases. That means if you plead not guilty you will appear and meet with the town prosecutor. The trooper will only be in court if you are foolish enough to not accept the plea offered and the case goes to trial. If that happens I can just about guarantee you will lose.

I see three possible pleas that may be offered:

1) reduction in speed (still a speed but lesser points and fine)
2) disobey a traffic control device (2 points and it's a "generic" moving violation)
3) parking ticket

I don't know that court - it's too far away. My experience has been that the further north you go the tougher the judges are. In many courts the prosecutors are tough too. Many times court policy prohibits certain pleas.

Basically any deal you're offered will be better than what you have. When speaking to the prosecutor don't be afraid to politely ask for something more. For instance, if you are offered number 1 above, point out your driving record and ask if number 2 would be possible. The worst that will happen is you'll get a "NO".

Having an attorney at this stage won't help either - I never see attorneys get any better plea deals than pro se motorists, but that's your decision.

The only way you'll know what you will be offered is to plead not guilty and show up to court on the date appearing on the letter you'll receive from the court. Show up early and follow whatever procedure is in place in the court.

HighwayMan

That's what I've assumed, although fellow drivers seem to have different opinions.

Logic would dictate that a road that short (<6 miles) with stop lights at multiple intersections should have a lower speed limit than the LIE.
I drive home from work in Putnam County on State Route 6/US 202. When exiting the Village of Brewster I see a sign that says "END 35 MPH SPEED LIMIT" with no other signs - it's then 55.

That road also has a few intersections with lights although I'm sure it's more rural than Suffolk is.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I drive home from work in Putnam County on State Route 6/US 202. When exiting the Village of Brewster I see a sign that says "END 35 MPH SPEED LIMIT" with no other signs - it's then 55.

That road also has a few intersections with lights although I'm sure it's more rural than Suffolk is.
Yeah, Route 25 east of County Rte 105 has some crazy changes like that.

HighwayMan

The officer was nice...
I missed this earlier. Just so that you know, while a state trooper is a police officer as defined in the Criminal Procedure Law, they don't like it when you call them officer - their title is "Trooper". They tend to get annoyed with people who call them "Officer".

Just Blue

I missed this earlier. Just so that you know, while a state trooper is a police officer as defined in the Criminal Procedure Law, they don't like it when you call them officer - their title is "Trooper". They tend to get annoyed with people who call them "Officer".
They're Statie's in Mass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">