• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS I asked for a printout or to see the gun and was refused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaspelli

What is the name of your state? NY

On 9/10/05 I was going down a hill too fast yes... I would say 38-40 in a 40. I got pulled over and the cop came over asked for the license and registration and I had to ask what I did wrong and he said that (and to quote because there were two other people in the car with me) "you were doing fine all the way down the hill but as you got to the bottom you spiked to 44 mph." (useing radar) He then wrote up the ticket and I then followed with asking if I could see the radar gun to verify the speed, which he replied quickly with a no. Then I asked if I could at least get a speed printout or a calibration printout and again said no and walked away.

Is this legal, can I get this tossed out of court because to me this whole thing sounds really fishy?
Or does someone know of where I can easily look it up?

CdwJava

jaspelli said:
Is this legal, can I get this tossed out of court because to me this whole thing sounds really fishy?
Or does someone know of where I can easily look it up?
The officer was under no legal obligation to let you look at the radar gun. The majority of officers throughout the country will NOT show the radar gun to drivers. This is largely a safety issue.

Additionally, I am not familiar with any radar that has a "printout" of the speed which it locked or tracked so this is not an option.

Ultimately, the state will have to prove it's case in court. You may choose to fight the case and assert you were not exceeding the limit, and the officer will assert to the court that you were.

Good luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">