• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS: Should I get a lawyer, or go solo?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

useranon

What is the name of your state? NY (Schoharie County)

I was speeding, caught at 78/55. Submitted my not guilty plea, just received the supporting deposition. I don't have much of a defense. I would like to limit the damage as much as possible, mainly to my wallet (college student with little money). This is my first violation in the 4+ years I've been driving.

I've looked online, and contacted a few lawyers. It looks like the cheapest would charge about $250.

So, my question is, in the end, would hiring a lawyer be cheaper than representing myself? I'm from Massachusetts, and I really don't know how much my insurance would increase from the effects.

I'd imagine that either myself or a lawyer could get the charges reduced somewhat. Would the lawyer be able to get my net cost reduced by at least an additional $250 over my potential solo defense?

An aside: I know errors on the ticket are usually ignored, but how about errors on the supporting deposition? It's nothing serious, but the officer states that my car "bears State of New York registration plates," when it does not.

Thanks.

racer72

Going to court is much like having sex, it's much better if there are 2 instead of one. Depending on the outcome it may feel like the lawyer bent you over and he was the only one having fun.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">